[32] The Rainy Night-I

The sky darkened along with the terror in their hearts. The rain thickened along with this going-on plot. The wind blew harshly bringing half the drops inside, while the girls listened to each other's reading.

"Werewolf, also known as lycanthrope in folklores, is a creature that has the body of a man, head of a werewolf. With hinge legs, canines and claws, thick fur, it is one of the most dangerous predators recognized in folklores," read Samara while breathing slowly.

She glanced at Violet and looked back at the book, going further.

"The human with traits of a wolf has been mentioned in many holy books, in different literatures. Many incidents have been recorded throughout. Rumours have fled too about hairy men killing people. It has been informed by the observers, that any man can become the Werewolf if survives the werewolf attack, if offends wolves or get bitten by them and survives. It is also found through werewolf fictions that even a minor scratch but deep to spread the poison, the man may become the Werewolf. Moreover, becoming one from wearing magical belts, drinking water from the paws or making deal with the devil are some of the other ways mentioned."

Violet covered her mouth, her heart drowning in feeling strange. "Deal with the devil? Why would someone do that?"

"There's a fictional story, we can read later. First, we need to read more about the creature," whispered Samara absentmindedly, herself being disturbed by the information.

Violet nodded while she continued reading the origin of the creature in folklores. They were barely mentioned in mythologies of different religion but still were scary.

Samara turned the page and read, "Being a Werewolf is a curse, brutally experienced like one when on full moon night, gravitational forces warm up the blood. The Earth pulls the soul of human, the moon pulls of wolf. Suffering extreme physical pain, the man becomes werewolf, his true nature coming out as of a predator. He lusts. For blood, for love, for pleasure. He lusts like a true beast and doesn't leaves the prey. After a kill, a werewolf might not be needing to prey for the next four days. It depends on how big is the kill. But on a full moon night, the werewolf is out of control. He just uses the full moon light as a guiding path to find his prey and kill it to fill the thrill that makes him what he is. A Werewolf."

Both the girls exchanged a glance.

"Typically, a werewolf is warm-blooded even in human form. He would barely feel the cold even in snowy winters. He worships the moon. Canines and claws are not always protruded in the human form but can appear in utter rage. Sometimes, the shifts are uncontrollable too in extreme angry situations. The man will most likely be hairy."

Violet twitched her lips when Samara stopped. "It's getting way too dark," she gave the excuse while forwarding the candle closer.

Violet took the candle from her and read herself, "Werewolf avoids silver since the old-achemical sources offer it's connection with the moon. They are vulnerable to this metal." She gasped while looking wide-eyed at Samara.

"This is helpful," muttered Samara while looking in the book.

"A Werewolf is passionate about everything. His emotions are experienced in extremes. Their eyes speak the volume. The horror of seeing the full moon is masked by the mischief in the orbs. They can heal faster than a human."

Samara gulped while shaking her head. "My brother hasn't healed yet. The marks of his gashes are still there. His stitches are still very sensitive," she exclaimed. "Jeffery too has marks of injuries on his cheek and arms."

"So is of Davis. He was asleep for days because of the extreme injuries," added Violet.

Samara remembered seeing Rodwin's bandages, and mentioned it. "Rodwin too has been dealing with fresh wounds he received from that night in the forest. He didn't heal so soon."