[61] Winning The Aftermath

The sky was grey just like any other day in this village. But today, the sun was making efforts to deliver its rays on the ground.

Samuel looked around the little assemble of relatives. His eyes started burning as he watched Lord Hopper and his wife pouring the soil on the coffin.

His legs started shaking while throat was filling up. With unshed tears in his eyes, he saw Nathaniel pouring the sand too. One by one, all the relatives started doing the same.

He released long breathes while going closer to the burial place. His father held his shoulder from behind, squeezing it tight.

With no expectations, he had gotten readied to come here. His parents didn't want to as they were already worried about Samara's absence. But knowing that she must have gone to Rodwin's house, they decided to come to the funeral service first. Especially when his mother wanted to apologise for her behaviour with Ida in last days.

Samuel stepped ahead, with tears leaking down from his eyes. The third priest held the big box ahead, for him to pick fist full of the soil. He brought the hand forward, looking down at the coffin in which the love of his life was laid with no life inside.

The thought curled up his heart, realizing how beautiful she was inside and out. Her golden hair reminded him of all the class she held while talking and playing. Her closed eyes had brought along all the memories they had together. Her chapped lips that were colored on purpose to put some life in her face, reminded him of the promises that she had kept before dying."

A sob broke out from him.

"We born from dust, we die into dust." The priest said, encouraging him with a small smile.

Samuel gritted his teeth while nodding slowly. With shaking hands, he threw the dust thrice on to the coffin, delivering a prayer within his heart.

Her parents were watching him with humility and understanding on their faces. Her father nodded at him in acknowledgement while her mother sobbed more at seeing the tears in his face.

Samuel walked ahead, as his parents poured the dust afterwards.

Taking huge breathes, he tried to calm himself down.

Everyone was going inside her house for the reception. But he didn't have the heart to socialise anymore. Going towards the secluded garden where barely two men were standing and conversing, he wiped his cheeks with a handkerchief.

But before he could walk ahead, a familiar voice reached his ears.

". . . I have never seen a young lady braver than her. In the beginning, I used to believe that she was an arrogant woman. But now, just by remembering her, I could never stop admiring the upbringing you have given her," said Violet with tears in her eyes. "We, as working class people, look up to thr daughters of high Lords. Ida was that daughter. You should be proud of her throughout your lives. . ."

Ida's mother sobbed while putting head on her husband's shoulder as they listen more to what she had to say.

". . . I am one of the person who had seen her before she left us all. And in those last moments, she held a spike like a true Warrior, threw it straight to pierce the monster's shoulder. Twice, she did it. Another time, she stabbed him from behind to save another girl from getting hurt. . ."

Both the parents looked at each other with tears leaving their eyes.

". . . I heard that she had escaped from this house by a window. She did it for a purpose. To save people's lives. She did something that the whole battalion couldn't do," said Violet shakily. "A week ago, she had approached Lord Hampton's house to share her sorrows with his wife. With all the misunderstanding that was going on, her and Samara couldn't help her. She wanted to let Samuel know that she loved him dearly and wanted to drop out of the betrothal with Nathaniel."