[25] Hunter In The Woods

The moonlit night had darkened under the thick roof of leaves and branches. The dense forest seemed like a cave with no ending.

Samara kept walking while holding Lord Lester's elbow who was taking support of the bamboo stick she had brought. Her another hand was busy in holding the lantern which was the only source of light.

"Should we start calling him now? We must have walked about three hundred metres already," she said slowly.

Lord Lester gulped while looking around, thinking what time had came in his life. His broad chested son could be lying curled in fear of the wolf that was roaming and attacking the intruders. No one could fight such prey and his son was only a soldier.

So many thoughts were poisoning his mind with bad images. He breathed slowly and coughed out in cold. "Yes," he whispered.

Samara swallowed while leaving his elbow and held his hand. They looked around fearfully.

"Rodwin," she screamed.

Lord Lester glanced at the faint moon that was visible behind those dark clouds. It could rain within some time. He cursed mentally.

"Rodwin." Stepping ahead, he started beating the path with the stick. "Rodwin," his voice cracked which didn't go unnoticed by Samara who could feel her heart drowning in fear.

"Rodwin," shouted Samara as loud as she could. But no response came back from anywhere. It felt as if all the other animals were too had hid themselves in fear of the beast.

Moments passed as they kept walking. Lord Lester had sobbed his heart out for two times and Samara's own heart was crying out in extreme worry.

Her lips were trembling. No more she could call her admirer as her throat had turned sore. Eyes were blurry, moving frantically all around yet all she could see was flashes of his smile, his eyes showing nothing but love for her.

She would gasp out loud at a single thought of seeing his dead body next day. "I won't leave this forest without finding him. He must have gone for something necessary," she kept muttering to herself.

But Lord Lester had heard and wasn't replying. His own mind was filled with worst possible scenarios. All this way, as if his heart was dripping thought by thought. Only some of it was left for him to wait for his only son.

"We will find him." Samara sobbed while looking around. "We will find him," she whispered. "He has won the hearts of wolves in the war. Why would they even hurt him. . ."

A loud growl echoed in the whole forest, making both of them stunned. Samara's mouth remained opened as she didn't move in horror. Lord Lester immediately looked around and shuddered when another growl echoed and this time, it sounded louder.

"We-We need to-to lea-leave," he yelled while pulling her arm as Lantern fell on the ground, adding more of the darkness around.

Samara whimpered as both of them ran in horror. Another growl echoed, making them startled.

"It's following us," shouted Lord Lester while stumbling on the way. Samara's throat dried as she helped him without any word, feeling too blank to say anything.

But ending up whimpering, "Rodwin." She sobbed, reminding him that his son was back there near the beast. "He is there."

Lord Lester cried while shaking his head. "I don't know but I can't put you in danger. Run, Samara." He shouted angrily making her catch up with him.

A scream escaped her mouth when she looked in the front and saw a ripped goat lying on the ground. "It isn't the way to home," she told him while covering her mouth.