[67] The First Howls

Thirteenth Night

The War inside his mind was more dangerous than War outside against Burnslenian Army.

Five days passed. Today, the sixth went as unproductive as it could be.

As a soldier, he fought hard and shoot arrows without any mercy, without any worry for his own life.

As a son, he was failing to follow an order.

From the childhood, his father had been strict to him whenever he had behaved recklessly and carelessly. They had a loving bond but only for the outer world and in the eyes of his father.

For Nathaniel, there was no bond of a father to his son. He felt like slave being given an order of making a deal of his life with the great rumoured devil himself.

Pylas.

The name itself would make him wonder if the story was even true.

But then, he had seen the claws. Hadn't he?

Facing his palm to the dark sky above, he observed the deep marks. He had not just given his own blood. He had also accepted the poison that a Werewolf's claws would cause.

The memory of the night, reminded of how his plan didn't go as smooth as he had planned. Only if he knew that Logan had read the books too.

He would have to inform father about Logan's curious eyes and ears.

The boy had found about everything his father had for him. From finding the temple in the cave to looking for the treasure that was the bite.

Fortunately, Rodwin had followed him and Logan couldn't explore more with a company. Had he really wanted a so-called treasure of riches, he would have asked Rodwin to look for the temple. He would have requested more.

But he knew about the bite and he didn't bother making Rodwin aware about it.

Clearly, Logan knew everything. But he didn't share it with his best friend for the good of everybody.

So, should he tell his father about Logan or not? His father might cancel his admission in the army. He might remove him from the batch and demote him by his political means. He knew his father. It was possible.

As long as, Logan was keeping it to himself, Nathaniel had decided to not share the trouble with his father.

But what about Davis who had followed Rodwin too?

Nathaniel picked up the pebble from beside him and threw it in the pond in frustration.

The plan had clearly failed. Two soldiers have followed one soldier who was aware of this cave secret. But for now, they didn't know that there was the first one before these three could enter the cave.

Davis had almost caught him if he hadn't stayed unmoving in the chilling water.

He only went straight towards the claws because they were catching the attention the most in the cabin. Davis couldn't even resist touching the blood on them.

Nathaniel chuckled sadly. Only if Davis knew, that the blood was of his colleague.

Not Logan, not Rodwin. But his.

At least, Davis went away empty handed unlike Logan and Rodwin who might have drank the rain water.

His plan had failed worse than he had thought. And he couldn't share each detail with his father. He didn't want to get a useless beating, helplessness or another official War between Kingdoms.