[5] Ignore the words

Samara stared at the ceiling in a deep thought. She didn't know why since the war had happened​, she was feeling absolutely dull.

All the soldiers were home, whether alive or dead. But the war was over. The Victory was achieved. Then, where was the happiness lost.

Why was she feeling bored and blank? Maybe, it was because of that latest murder. Her heart would start crawling to her mouth every time, she would think about it. But then, that tragedy was the reason why she hadn't been able to meet Nathaniel regularly.

Earlier, she would go out to the woods in the evening with the excuse of bringing wooden sticks so she could meet him secretly. She wondered if he too missed her like she did.

She bit her lip thinking how she was close to get a kiss from him. It would have been so wonderful, so dreamy but unfortunately, it was left as a dream because of her destined tormentor.

Somehow, she wasn't angry at Rodwin for that moment. He was actually right in his own way. She knew that her parents liked Nathaniel. Who wouldn't want their daughter to get married in a family of higher status? But getting caught in such intimate positions with a man before marriage, was truly embarrassing.

Maybe, she was being too much sick in love. She needed to be pure for her purity of heart. Girls had always been taught to save themselves for their future husbands.

Even if she would get Nathaniel as her life partner, she still won't like to degrade her honour by crossing the limits.

No matter how less they were meeting, she won't cross her boundaries the next time. If it would have been some other men instead of Rodwin who saw them, maybe she would have already gotten humiliated in the society. She couldn't put her future and her family's reputation at stake, again. She needed to be a good girl. But for that she needed to ask for forgiveness.

She decided immediately to visit the seer, the next day.

Just as she was about to close her eyes and turn on her side, a loud distant howl echoed around her that made her goosebumps risen in sudden terror.

Her eyes widened while mouth opened in shock as she heard another howl coming distantly from her bedroom window. She slowly turned her head and stared at the dark sky outside. The moon wasn't visible because of the continuous rain pouring from last two hours.

She waited to hear more howls but it all remained silent then. She breathed in terror and slowly got up from her bed. Hanging her legs, she put her bare feet on the cold concrete floor and flinched when it felt colder than she had assumed. She wore her slippers and quietly stepped towards the window while making sure to look from behind her white lacy curtains.

She gasped when she saw the same dead body lying near the well just like that morning. Her breaths quickened as she tried hard to breathe properly.

She squeezed her eyes shut and calmed her heart by patting her chest slightly. Opening her eyes slowly, she looked again at the same place.

A shiver crawled down her spine when she saw the white-bricked path clean around the well. She gulped and looked around to notice that the area was calm and clean. No one was awake and no light of candle, was visible from any window.

It didn't feel right that she was the only one to hear that howl. She wished that someone else would have heard it too. It would give her confidence to share it with her family. Her heart was still beating erratically because of the dangerous sound that animal had made.

She just knew that it was that animal only who had killed the villager.

It was thunderous, blood-curdling howl that she had estimated, she could die from terror if she would hear it from close.