[27] Punish The Sinner

How in a moment her world had changed. . .

Samara couldn't believe her ears when early morning, the loud galloping of horses echoed around their colony. It was so loud in that empty silence, enough to wake up at least a member from each houses they crossed.

The Royal Warriors halted right in front of her gates. It was her tired brother who got up from the chair and ran towards the door. Samara followed behind, gasping when she saw her father on his horse.

His eyes were bloodshot from the lack of sleep. But just as they fell on his son standing there at the door, for whom he had suffered the travel to the castle all night-he shook his head in defeat, showing utter disappointment on his face.

"Father," Samara didn't wait to rush towards him and hugged her to feel safe and protected. The most, comforted.

Last night had been such a traumatic experience, she hadn't feel alone so much in her life before. Her mother was still sleeping because of the mild fever she had caught, in stress for Samuel. What happened with Lord Lester and her at the forest had ruined the sanity in her.

She couldn't think properly. She didn't know if it was right to doubt her own brother when all the proofs were actually going against him. Feeling overwhelmed, she even let out a sob as he hugged her back.

"Samara. I am fine, dear. Everything is going to be fine." Her father spoke, glancing back at the fellow warriors. "I am fine. Will you explain me how your dear brother returned home when he was actually supposed to go the castle?"

Samara gulped and pulled back from the hug. She stared in her father's eyes observing them getting narrowed at her.

"The King had summoned your brother, one of the suspect of being the Werewolf. The King, Samara." Her father's nostrils flared in anger but he kept his face straight. "Save your father from the humiliation. I have already suffered a night, giving explanations to the Lord Commandant. Putting my sword on his feet, I begged him a day of finding the truth for myself."

She covered her mouth in shock, feeling utterly sad as she knew how much insulted her father would be feeling. Her gaze moved around and her heart shrank seeing many of her neighbors coming out of their homes to watch the early morning drama.

"What did you say? You put your sword at his feet? Your pride?" Samuel asked in shock, walking through their little verandah that had clayed floor.

"Samara," her father yelled, glaring at her. "I want to hear the truth."

She was startled with his sudden anger. Nodding slowly, she glanced at the two Warriors standing behind her father.

"Samuel returned late at night, two-three hours later from your departure. He was sweating and hurt at places. He told me that the soldiers who were taking him to the castle had gotten injured on their way. The Werewolf had attacked them. The beast. When he came after Samuel, he ran away and with his clever ways, he somehow saved his life-"

The loud clapping echoing on the street, followed by faint galloping which stopped her from explaining further. She blinked in surprise and felt ashamed when her eyes fell on the Nathaniel sitting on his horse. His chin high with pride as he chuckled humorlessly.

"What a wonderful lie!"

She could feel her jaws clenching at the sight of him. She could even hear her brother's fists cracking who was standing beside her.

"Now, tell the truth." Nathaniel smirked, looking around at the crowd that had started to form. He nodded at the Warriors who had recognized him as the Commandant's son.