[7] Becoming Wise

A faint sense of being watched gave her goosebumps as Samara walked towards the table where her dream man was writing the names of buyers of wooden sticks.

Looking around while keeping her face as charming as it always looked, she thought of her lateness while observing the half-empty carts. The sky was turning rainy grey from glowing golden, making her fastened her steps to complete the task soon.

Approaching the table, she patted lightly to catch the attention of the young man who was busy in attending the line of village men. A glance of confusion which softened immediately, made her smile sheepishly.

"Look, who has approached me," joked Nathaniel while his friend attended the men in line. He stood up and held her hands to greet her properly. "The love of my life. What brings you here, Samara?"

Samara smiled and shook her head. "My love for the food," she replied. "We are out of the woods and need at least two-three bunches or your love would die of hunger."

She watched as Nathaniel's brownish hair were smoothly combed by his fingers and he looked aside thoughtfully. "Two-three bunches? For that, you would be needing a cart," he suggested.

Samara looked around all of a sudden, again feeling being watched which her skin crawl. She swallowed nonetheless and smiled at Nathaniel. "No. I will be able to hold one and can drag two. I am good at practice," she said while squeezing his hand, making him feel the strength in her hands.

Nathaniel chuckled while holding her waist making her face pale.

"Everyone's around, Nathaniel." She looked around and noticed some of the villagers looking at them, even the soldiers. But just as Nathaniel looked back at them, they all continued their work. "What are you doing?"

Looking at her worried face, Nathaniel smiled. He cupped her cheeks and stared in her ocean blue eyes which were still conscious from all the attention. "You don't have to worry, Samara. There is no fault in showing them that you will be mine."

That made her smile yet the continuous gaze continued to lower her spirits. She smiled nervously at him. "Thank you."

Nathaniel hummed while kissing her forehead and turning around to write the entry on the paper. He turned back to nod at her.

"I have written. Get to one of the carts and ask for help. One soldier will accompany you home. If not, tell him that I am watching."

Samara bit her lip shyly at his confident words. With a last nod, she turned away to approach the carts where lines were still long and empty carts were being replaced by the full ones.

She went to the one with short line, consisting of three women only. But all her mood dropped when she saw Rodwin handing the carts to the women and sending soldiers along with the needy ones.

Her mind gave her the chance to think about changing the line. She looked around and noticed the long rows and shook her head in defeat. Rodwin was oblivious to her presence and was obediently doing his work.

Soon, the woman ahead of Samara was provided with bunches and finally, she herself stepped ahead to only notice that Rodwin wasn't looking at her.

Her eyebrows narrowed and a sick feeling engulfed her heart when she remembered their last meet. She had mentioned about her hatred and cursed him death again.

She gulped when the other soldiers too understood the situation and quietly continued their work. She blinked when Rodwin cleared his throat.

"Three bunches in the name of House Hampton," she squeaked out while Rodwin, didn't bother to nod, and stood up to bring the bunches.