.

.

Earl walked quietly on the street, with his dagger in his boots. He looked carefully on the path and kept listening to the faint howls.

Wiping the blood off his cheek that had burst from Nathaniel's punch, he grunted hard. He wasn't a friend.

Just a coward.

Because of him that night, Brody died. Because of him Preston and Lori would be hanged in front of everyone for being rapists.

Suddenly, he heard loud footsteps. Someone was running towards him.

In the dark night, his heart filled with dread. But the soldier in him turned alarmed. Earl pulled out the dagger from his boots and immediately turned around..

His eyes narrowed and heart relaxed. "What the fuck you are doing!"

Logan ran towards him, panting hard. His face was red from running.

"Ah! Thank the Lord!" yelped Logan while stumbling over a pebble.

Earl caught him before he could fall down. "Why are you out here!" He asked her.

Logan looked at him, breathing hard. "I was in my home. My father did all the chores as they are looking for the beast tonight. He returned home and told me that Davis' mother is worried. He wasn't in his room. She started crying and told my father who was walking in his street only."

"So you came here to look after the friend who doesn't care about you anymore!" Earl scolded him, looking over at the man's exhaustion. Whether or not they liked him, but everyone was aware of how much hardworking Logan was. He was the best messenger they could have for now. Being the best rider, he did the job perfectly.

"He has been my childhood friend. These days, he is becoming one of you. Listening to your excuse of a friend, Nathaniel!" Logan told him, raising his tone and standing up on his own. "I can see how he uses you all. I was worried if he has decided to frame Davis or used him to frame someone else."

Earl stiffened in faint guilt. He blinked in anger as he recalled the conversation with Nathaniel.

"He is not the friend I thought he was. But it's not completely his fault. It is his father who does the most," said Earl while flaring his nostrils.

Logan's eyes narrowed as he saw a tear collecting on the corner of his eyes. "Earl, are you. . . Mate, has something happened? Are you hurt?"

Earl gulped hard while looking at Logan. His eyes holding the fear for the night. "Something wrong might have happened, tonight."

Logan gasped. "Davis—"

"No! It's not him. He must have already returned home by now. He is a good man. He left the horrific plan we were hired to execute to hurt Samuel and Jeffery," said Earl while feeling his stomach churning.

Logan widened his eyes.

"They had planned to take advantage of the situation and hurt Jeffery's sister," said Earl. "Davis fought to not escalate it to something known as rape—"

"Something!" Logan's jaws clenched, his eyes wide in extreme anger. "It's not something. It's the worst thing happening to a girl. Do you not have sister at home? Your mother!"

"Davis punched them when they tried to convince him. But I left immediately to inform Nathaniel. Now, he must be out there looking for them."

Logan gritted his teeth. "Are you sure? Do you think he is that concerned for some low class men he pretend to be friends with for the sake of popularity?"