139 | what could've been

✿ ✿ ✿

    Samantha could feel the warmth, it spread through her body and it kept her safe

    Samantha could feel the warmth, it spread through her body and it kept her safe. She could also feel someone poking her face while soft and muffle whispers were around her.

She had her eyes closed, but the second she woke up, she stood still. Maybe she was in danger again and the death eaters found her. Maybe she was back at the cell, about to be transported to see the Dark Lord.

Panic began to ignite in her chest at the idea, and she began to make a plan to get out of there quickly. However, the pokes on her face were not rough or meant to be hurtful, it was more like playful, she was confused.

❝I didn't remember she was a heavy sleeper, but look!❞ a male voice spoke clearly next to her, making her freeze. The movement he stop speaking, there was another poke on her face.

❝she's resting, leave her alone❞ a female voice indulged from afar, and for a moment, she thought she knew that voice. For some reason, she didn't feel unsafe or in danger.

❝but I want to talk to her❞ the male voice pouted, and for a split second, she smelled a familiar scent. There was a moment of pause between the people in the room until she felt the male getting closer.

❝don't—❞ the female voice said loudly, but he didn't obeyed.

Strings of hair were moved away from her face and she felt the warmth of someone's breathing next to her cheek. Sam prepared herself for anything and counted to three before opening her eyes.

    However, the moment she did, she was face with the someone she never thought she could see again. The very same person who became her best friend and the one who always tried to make her days better with bad jokes and puns.

Samantha opened her mouth in disbelief and he sat straight, grinning at her. Quickly, she sat up and frowned, not believing her eyes.

❝this is not real❞ she said out loud, shaking her head as she thought her mind was playing tricks on her.

He tilted his head, raising his eyebrow ❝are you calling me fake, Sam? That hurts, right here❞ he pointed at his chest, pretending to be hurt.

Samantha didn't move, she was in shock. She analyzed his face as she took deep breaths.

❝you're checking me out, Annalise?❞ he questioned, a smile growing in his face as he pushed her shoulder lightly ❝I know I'm unbelievably handsome, but try to dissimulate❞

Samantha let out a breath, feeling her lip beginning to shake. She raised her hands and slowly directed them towards him. Then, she took his face in her hands and he didn't disappear between her fingers.

She blinked multiple times, feeling the urge to cry ❝You're here, you're real❞ she whispered.

❝so are you❞ James smiled, putting his hands on top of hers.