92 | a painless death

✿ ✿ ✿

      Samantha was peacefully dreaming, resting after a long day

Samantha was peacefully dreaming, resting after a long day. The night was cold and silent, no clouds were in the sky, no night creatures lurking in the shadows, nothing would dare to perturbe the calmness.

The soft breeze was tracing its way through her windows, only leaving a smooth whistle behind. Everything was quiet and still, nothing to worry about. Or so she thought.

In the middle of the peacefulness, a light emerged through the hallway, followed by loud and fast footsteps that were approaching her room.

    The redhead girl opened the door quickly while tears were rolling down her porcelain face, a sign of distress taking over.

Lily stood in the doorstep of her best friend's room, both sad and scared of how the news were going to hit her. She was still in shock and her heart was broken, nothing felt real, it couldn't.

Sobbing loudly, she slowly made her way into Samantha's bedroom, with her wand as a guidance in the dark room.

Lily turned on the light in the bedroom, and left her wand in the nightstand. She was still debating how to break up the news to the peacefully sleeping girl, who's world was going to be crushed hard for the first time, but not the last time.

She began to shake Samatha lightly, trying her best not to startled her. It took Lily a couple of tries to finally see the Castle girl slowly opening her eyes. Lily pursed her lips and tried to stop crying, but it was too hard to contain it.

Samantha blinked a few times, trying to adjust to the light upon her face. She groaned tiredly and fully open her eyelids, only to see Lily puffy red eyes and wet face, she frowned worriedly.

❝Lily, what happened? Are you okay?❞ Samantha quickly sat up and put her hands in her friends shoulders, noticing she was shaking. Lily started to cry more, breaking down. After not receiving a response, Samantha feared the worst ❝What happened?❞ she whispered, her raw voice becoming too heavy to let out ❝are the boys?—❞

❝No❞ Lily moaned, her breath catching up in her throat. She shook her head and looked down, realizing this would more difficult than anticipated.

A sense of relief rushed over Samantha at hearing the boys were okay, but then it hit her. If they were okay, why was Lily in that state?

❝Lils, talk to me, what happened? Why are you—❞ Samantha spoke softly, but was interrupted by Lily's embrace.

The redhead hugged her so tight. More tightly than when Samantha received a special place in the board of the school, more tightly than the day they got their own flat, more tightly than the day they became best friends.

❝It's Marlene❞ Lily breath out against her Samantha's hair, tears rolling down her face as she's thought of her late friend.

❝Marlene?❞ Samantha asked, furrowing her eyebrows. Her mind still didn't comprehend what Lily had tried to implied. Her friend was not home but it wasn't unusual, Samantha hadn't connect the dots, part of her didn't want to ❝What about Mar? She's with her family in—❞