[34] The Sinner Is Sinister

Start from the beginning

Her father blinked slowly before giving them a pained look. "Samuel had told me on the night of full moon that he wants to marry Ida. I feel proud that he has impressed an honorable lady like her. So, we both didn't waste time and used it to go to their residence."

Samuel's eyes were stoned on the floor.

"We found that her father didn't really knew about their courting. I managed to propose the betrothal but her father insulted us by denying. He still believes that Samuel is a suspect and whether or not he is at a good post. He won't agree to the offer," his father explained, his eyes softening at his wife who seemed to look at her son in sympathy.

"But Ida loves you," Samara exclaimed while looking at her brother. "Didn't she do anything? Didn't she convince him?"

Her father shook his head. "The girl didn't say anything. Either she was shocked or way too scared to speak."

Samara gasped. "But now what? He can't just give his decision like that. He maybe doesn't know how brilliant Samuel is. His salary has been raised and so is of yours father. You fought for war and you don't get the girl you love just because they doubted you. This is not fair."

"If anyhow the beast is caught, our Samuel will be out of this danger and her father could agree," suggested their father.

"Leave it, father." Samuel blinked while looking at his mother who seemed sad for him. "The whole village knows, I took six seven arrows to attack the other army. I have a suitable post. Even if her father is not impressed, someone else's will be. If she can't convince him, I can't do anything."

"But you love her. . ." Samara mumbled, looking at him worriedly.

"She loves me too, which is why I will wait for her to convince her father." Samuel breathed slowly.

Their father put more wood sticks in the fire while stretching his arms. "It's late now. You all must sleep. Tomorrow are the wrestling matches, son."

Samuel nodded while kissing her mother's forehead, making her lay on the bed. He stood up while cracking his neck. "Cannot wait enough to put down that arrogant prick in front of his father," he muttered while his father removed his night gown.

Samara's heart broke at his words. She slowly got up from the chair while thinking how her brother hated the man she had loved at sometime in her life. Why didn't he ever warned her clearly about how cruel he was?

She watched with glossy eyes as her brother went to his room. She followed him, not before noticing that her father had laid already.

"Samara?"

She stared at him, watching him sitting down on his bed. While she herself stepped further. "Now is the time you tell me everything," she spoke, her jaws clenching. "From the start of this war to now. Everything."

"Go to sleep, Samara."

"Is this how you are going to be?" She asked slowly, her eyes filling with tears. "Do you not value my opinion anymore? I was the one who was worried here for you. I am the one who will convince Ida to convince her father. If only I am sure, that my brother is not the beast."

Samuel stared at her in shock, his eyes stoned. "You saw it with your own eyes. Didn't you? I was with father, while you were facing that beast. Why would you doubt me even then of all other soldiers?" He whispered desperately.

She reached his bed, sitting at the chair in front of his bed. A tear leaked her eye. "You don't know how scary it was to face that beast. At times like this, I don't know what to do anymore. I have seen Rodwin full of injuries. Even then, you were close to him. Nathaniel blamed in front of everyone. Isn't it enough for me to doubt you? I am your sister, I am not going to hate you. I will try to save you. Hide you."