Confessions

JUSTIN'S POV
Nervously biting on my thumbnail as I glanced from my phone, to the table and back again, I contemplated making the phone call I so desperately wante– needed to make.
'Just man up, Justin!' My conscience screamed at me and I almost wanted to metaphorically slap my inner thoughts for being so irrational, it's easier said than done!
Exhaling loudly, I picked up my large iPhone and slid the bar across, typing in my password and tapping on the phone app. I constantly made attempts to reassure myself, we were still friends, we didn't end on a bad note, what's the worst that could happen?
Clicking on her caller ID before I could back out, I held the phone to my ear, listening to the irritating dial tone which only made me more nervous as the suspense and anticipation built. What if she didn't pick up?
"Hello?"
My heartbeat stopped at the sound of her sweet voice and for a moment, I lost my train of thought. It was crazy that even after 4 months, she still had the ability to render me speechless.
"Hello???" Her voice sounded again.
Shaking me out of my thoughts, I cleared my throat. "Hey, (Y/N). It's Justin."
"I know, I do have your number you know." She giggled, causing my cheeks to tinge pink. Of course she had my number, how stupid am I?
How embarrassing.
"So, uh, I was wondering if maybe you'd uhm, wanna go to dinner sometime?" I asked, "As friends, of course." I added quickly.
"Uh, sure, that'd be nice. I'm free tomorrow around 6?"
My heartbeat immediately regulated and I let out a sigh of relief.
'See, that wasn't so bad, was it?' My conscience smugly sung to me in my ear, causing me to roll my eyes – who did he think he was? My mother?
"Sounds good, shall we just meet there?"
"Okay, uhm, where are we eating?" She asked.
Good one, Justin, embarrassing yourself again. "How about that restaurant where we had our first date?"
I heard her clear her throat at my suggestion, causing me to tense up.
"Okay, I'll see you then."
******************
I watched as she made her way towards me, her black heels clicking against the sidewalk, still not making eye contact with me, yet. Her eyes stayed fixated on the ground as she wrapped her long grey coat around her petite frame, making her way to the entrance of the restaurant.
Finally reaching me, she looked up and ran a hand through her long hair. "Uh, hey." She smiled, to which I returned it, "Hi."
We received a few looks from people as we were seated which was totally understandable, but I could tell that (Y/N) felt a little uncomfortable about all of this.
She looked stunning as usual, she didn't even have to try.
I watched her as she looked around the room, admiring the atmosphere and that's when I realised that I missed her. I missed her so much and I still loved her like I had during our relationship.
I missed calling her mine, I missed the kisses and cuddles we shared, I missed the goofing around, heck, I even missed the arguing. I missed us.
"Do I have something on my face?"
Snapping out of my daydream and coming back to reality, I hadn't realised I was staring. "N-nope, nothing there." I shrugged, causing her to nod awkwardly.
"So how have you been?" I asked, initiating the conversation.
"Good," She nodded, moving the olive around her martini glass, "Work has been stressing me out a little, but I'm alright," She smiled, "You?"
Here goes nothing...
"Lonely," I started, causing her to look down, "I miss you, (Y/N)."
"You ended things with me, remember?"
"Because I thought I was doing what was best for us, but now I realise that I was so wrong." I announced, reaching for her hand, which she moved, causing my heart to crack ever so slightly.
Shaking her head, she stood up, moving her hair out of her face, "I-I can't do this."
"(Y/N)–"
"No, Justin. I can't do this here."
And with that, I watched her leave. I watched her leave just like I did when we broke up, but I was not prepared to make that mistake again.
Slamming a $20 on to table, I grabbed my jacket and ran after her.