[28] The Beaten One

Start from the beginning

The bucket was kept right in front of the main door, while the hand from her shoulder was off already. He was stopped from being turn around as he waited for Lord Hampton to speak.

"How are you now?" Samara watched the shame in her father's eyes. "Come inside, explain me what had happened," her father said in his rough voice.

Rodwin, without giving her a glance, stared at her father. "I hope, Nathaniel must have told you everything and you must have believed everything too. I must go home and talk much with my father who has faith more in his son than he has in those fake rumours."

Stealing no glances at her, he walked away leaving the father and the daughter stunned.

________

"Ten soldiers weren't in there tents, but in the forests. Even if the Prince has narrowed down his list of suspects to the main three and now, King had idiotically blamed Samuel on the talks of Nathaniel—I still want to revise the whole story in my mind," said Violet while walking actively.

Samara gulped quietly and didn't say anything. Since the morning, she couldn't think about anything but Rodwin. The way he had so openly taunted her father was a mark of bravery. This meant that he didn't mean Samuel as the beast.

A small hope has flickered in her heart at Rodwin's act today. Her father had gone to the castle just as he suffered that early morning taunt. She could see the guilt in his eyes.

"Samara, you can't be so quiet. I know there is so much in your mind. You will have to share it with me and Logan. Or you will lose your brother," warned Violet.

Samara shook her head slowly. "I don't know, Violet. Everything seems so easy yet is so difficult. Winning Rodwin back, Saving my brother, telling the whole village that Nathaniel is lying. It is all so difficult."

Violet gave her a serious look.

"But giving us a little time of yours is not that difficult. Is it? We will find a way, I know. We have Logan for all the help. Don't you know he is the messenger? He knows everything. We just have to make right use of him," she explained.

A soft smile came upon Samara's lips as she glanced at her best friend. "Since when did you both started to discuss about the problems of this village? Don't you both talk about your dream wedding and kids?"

Violet chuckled at her trying to lighten up the environment. "Finally, you are being yourself." Shaking her head, she looked at the front. "I don't know, all that is on our mind is this beast. Logan is worried for Rodwin and even Davis. Besides, he has started to stay more with that young boy, Erasmus. He is determined on finding out the beast."

"I myself am curious to know who is hiding beneath the cover of sins, Samara. I am slightly afraid if it is Logan," she spoke.

Samara stopped in her tracks, shuddering at her words. "What did you say? You do not believe Logan, Violet. How can you even doubt him? Wasn't he the one who showed you the claw marks on the iron door? He has always been out of the dangerous area. He has always been on the safe side."

Violet smiled slowly, giving her an apologetic look. "Isn't it way too clean for a soldier's reputation who is one of those ten?"

Samara gulped and continued walking. "Do not repeat my father's mistake. He is regretting now, doubting Samuel."

"Aren't you regretting not noticing the real Nathaniel?" asked Violet, giving another shock to Samara. When she didn't hear any response, she chuckled lightly. "See, that is how it is going. Which is why I wanted us both to revise this night of the war that happened in Sherfield. We need to analyse and find out who's been hiding beneath a clean mask."