[25] Hunter In The Woods

Depuis le début

Looking around, she felt her head spinning. Lord Lester shook his hand and was about to say something when a sudden crisp of leaves reached their ears. He looked at her giving him a stunned look. Both of them didn't move to confirm that there was someone else walking nearby.

It was proved when another sound came, making their heartbeats stop. Samara could feel her heart reaching her mouth as her mind filled with images of last night. The dark furry wolf with his eyes all glowing in rage with a circle of red fire embracing each of them as if the thirst to kill was high. So high.

Samara could feel her legs weakening in terror as the leaves crunched more under steps of whoever was there behind the dense trees.

Lord Lester reminded her while pulling his own knife from the boots immediately. "Kn-Knife, dear. Knife." He stood in front of her as they finally understood the direction from where the voice was coming.

Samara squeezed her eyes before opening them, making one tear fell on her cheek immediately. The leaves made more of the sound competing with the rhythm of their fast heartbeats. It went loud and loud until they saw the fire.

Samara gasped in shock watching the familiar face walking out from behind the thick tree with his hand holding up the lit torch.

________

Logan wiped sweat beads from his forehead as he looked around carefully. "Are you positive that something like this happened?"

Erasmus nodded with a glare. "When you ten soldiers can try to confuse the king. Then why not one can even run away cleverly. This clearly shows he is the wolf and I am going to kill him, tonight." He patted his bag in which there was a bottle of oil.

"Your friend, Rodwin left that injured wolf alive that night. Saved his life for him. But I won't leave its sight until the wolf diminishes to the earth," he promised while walking actively.

Logan looked at him sideways, explaining, "Erasmus, I understand your brother was killed brutally. But you know what the seers have explained us. The wolf doesn't do it knowingly. It's his inner predator. It's his nature. But half of his soul, is of the soldier who has trained with us, fought in the war along us."

Erasmus kicked a pebble, glaring at him. "My brother will never return. So will the good in soldier. He is performing sins each night."

Logan sighed while shaking his head. "Not that I care about that Nathaniel. He dies, the politics in our little army dies. But if it is Samuel, this can be different. We all know he is a good person. There is no darkness in his heart," he said while recalling all his moments of observing Samuel Hampton.

"Whoever it is, I won't leave the killer of my brother," promised Erasmus while suddenly stopping and bending a little. He looked at Logan who too followed his actions as he slowly whispered, "Did you hear that?"

Logan shook his head. "What?"

"It's distant but loud enough," he told.

Logan nodded while keeping quiet this time. He waited and didn't move until they finally heard a growl. He widened his eyes at Erasmus. "It's on the other side of the forest. Towards my home and other homes."

Erasmus raised his eyebrows. "He won't dare enter the village. The guards are on their duties. There are all torches at every door, pillar on the streets. But if someone is out there, then it's dangerous."

Logan shook his head. "No. No one would do that. All are warned. . ." He stopped right when a loud female scream echoed distantly.

He widened his eyes. "God. We need to help her." He pulled out his sword and glanced at Erasmus who too was ready with his arrows. "Now, come."