My Children

A/N: A flashback chapter (s1 Ben/Scar)

"My child, what makes you glee?" The older voice in Scar's head spoke to her, but she couldn't figure out who it was or what this voice was trying to tell her. Ben slept curled up in his small shelter, squished against baby Bumpy, a bit different from all the other nights. Bumpy would normally take up all the space in the shelter that Ben had built, Bumpy was sprawled out on the bed of leaves, the both of them sleeping peacefully. Scar couldn't sleep, per usual.

Scar crawled out of the fallen tree log and paced back and forth a few feet in front of the shelter. "Child..." Scar mumbled to herself, trying to figure out who's voice was deeply embedded into her mind, "Glee?" She questioned to herself, "I no know what that is.."

Scar sat in the middle of the dirt and stared longingly at the green bushes and tall trees that were ominously swaying back and forth in the wind. "It's the leaves on the trees, the flowers above the towers." The wind was laced with the woman's voice.

And for a moment, it seemed to be coming back to her. "Nature isn't a macer.." Scar said, the lyrics embedded deep somewhere in her memory. "You just have to face her." Scar felt the leaves blow around her. "Aiding your wound, is simple..." Scar placed a hand on her knee where there was a small childhood injury. But, as soon as the wind stopped, Scar's memories of that song faded away. Yet, she continued to stare intensely at the forest ahead.

Bumpy honked awake and stumbled her way over to Scar, "Baby..." Scar said, not looking down at Bumpy, who laid back down beside Scar's leg. Scar ran her hand down Bumpy's back to feel her rough armor, "Are you petting Bumpy?" Ben asked half asleep as he stretched out, laying completely down in his shelter for the first time. Though, Scar appeared to ignore him as Bumpy produced a purr like sound as Scar rested her hand on Bumpy's head.

The Carnotorus roared in the distance, spooking Ben fully awake, he sat up and rubbed his eyes to see Scar and Bumpy sitting side by side, "Hm?" Ben wondered, slowly approaching his two friends. "What are you looking at, Scar?" Ben asked, noting that Bumpy was asleep again. "Scar?" Ben repeated, waving his hand in front of her face. "Shh..." Scar shushed him, "Okay....Just enjoying the scenery today, then." Ben said, sitting down on the other side of Scar and crossing his legs crisscrossed.

Scar placed her other hand on Ben's shoulder and Ben was a bit shocked from the psychical contact, especially from Scar, who moved her hand up his back and her nails tickled the back of his neck. "Uh, Scar?..." Ben asked, his voice a little uneasy, unsure of what she was doing. Scar held her hand at the back of his head, feeling his longer, slightly matted, hair. "Child." Scar said, still not making eye contact.

"Yes, Scar, I am a child." Ben said, "Well, more of teenager, but uh..." Ben added. "Dirty." Scar said, running a finger down the patch of his hair covered in dried up blood and dirt. "Scar, are you okay?" Ben asked, "I'm sorry to ask you so many things, but you aren't explaining anything to me!" Ben blurted out.

Without responding to Ben's babbles, Scar scooped him up and was holding Ben as if he was a toddler no older than five years old. "Scar, you need to warn me the next time you do that!" Ben exclaimed, looking away from the ground that was only six feet beneath him. Scar's silence was unwarranted and raised worry in Ben, he was just starting to get to know her and she wasn't giving him much of anything, Ben didn't know how to talk to her.

Scar was walking on her two back feet, her legs, her "human" legs, she wasn't walking fast but it was a medium pace, as fast as she could possibly go considering her paralysis and recent injuries from when she went jumping out of the monorail. Bumpy arose from her sleep and trotted behind Scar and Ben, who never looked down to the ground as Scar carried him. Scar led Bumpy and Ben to a nearby stream, the same stream that they had gone to when Ben was first found alive in the jungle.