Marvelous Coincidence

Summary: Jade and Perrie win the award for Best Couples Costume at a Halloween party and then have to awkwardly tell everyone else they've never met before.

Jade could not believe she let her mom convince her to do this.

Their phone call from a few days ago echoed in her mind as she parked her car annoyingly far down the tree-lined street.

"It'd be good to reacquaint yourself with your old friends, Jade," she had said.

"But Mom..." Jade tried.

"Come on," her mom continued. "You've moved back to town after years of being away, and Leigh-Anne never left. She has tons of friends your age, some single..."

So that was it.

"Very subtle, Mom."

"I just want you to have some fun. Have you gone out at all since you moved back?"

No.

"Yes."

"Anything work-related does not count," Norma said, reading her daughter immediately.

"A Halloween party though?" Jade was practically whining. "Knowing Leigh-Anne, she and everyone she interacts with will be fully costumed. I don't do costumes, not since I was Princess Jasmine in the fourth grade."

"Aww, you were so cute," said her mom affectionately. "The way your tiara got tangled with your hair. I might still have it, come to think. Maybe you could-"

"I'll figure it out," said Jade, cutting her off. "Fine, one party, and I don't want to hear any more about my social life, okay?"

So that was how Jade had found herself in an elaborate costume, crunching fallen leaves under her black boots as she searched for Leigh-Anne's house number. Earlier that week, she had asked her new coworkers if anyone had any ideas or an old costume she could borrow. One of them, Natalie, a massive fan of comic books, told her she could borrow her Jane Foster/Mighty Thor costume she had used for the past year's comic con circuit. It wasn't exactly what she had had in mind, but she liked Marvel movies well enough, so she went for it.

Jade had to hand it to Natalie. It was a pretty great costume. This was no pre-packaged Target special. Natalie hadn't missed one detail; the costume was incredibly authentic looking all the way from black leather pants, skirt and gloves to the accompanying heavy velvet cape that swished with every step she took. She even had a helmet that she held under one arm in addition to the replica of the Mjolnir attached to her hip.

As soon as she turned a corner, it was easy to find Leigh-Anne's house based on a stream of costumed people all headed to the same front door. It was no surprise. Leigh-Anne had never had any trouble making friends. Jade wouldn't be surprised if every 20-something in the neighbourhood was invited to this party.

She followed a group of giggling women dressed as various lingerie-clad animals. She envied them a little. At least they'd be able to withstand the heat of an overcrowded house party, unlike her, who was already sweaty.

The inside of the house was boisterous. Jade had no idea that anyone got this excited about Halloween after about age ten, but she was quickly getting educated as dozens of people bumped and grinded to Monster Mash. She was fairly certain Leigh-Anne had cleaned out the entire Halloween aisle at Walmart with how many fake cobwebs were hanging from every inch of the house.

Dodging one, she ducked through an alcove into the kitchen. She filled herself a drink and perched against a kitchen counter where she was able to watch the party from afar. She recognized a few faces from their high school, people she hadn't seen in years. It would be a struggle to come up with any of their names. She sure hoped she wouldn't have to.