Little Pieces of My Heart

A/N: Not you guys wanting a third part to the previous oneshot, even though it was already probably the longest one out there 🙈.  I'm sorry to disappoint you, I have no continuation to that one (at least not yet, anyways). But, if you can forgive me, I hope you enjoy this one. ❤️

Summary: The one where Perrie makes little origami creations and gives them to Jade.

It's a Tuesday morning when she gets given the first one. An innocuous Tuesday in the middle of April, the sun is shining behind a light coverage of fluffy clouds and Perrie is devouring her brunch while Jade enthusiastically describes the book that she just finished. Everything is normal, and the warmth radiating not only from the sun through the windows, but from Perrie herself makes her brain a little hazy and her palms a little warm. And then, Perrie slides something across the table.

"Here, I made this for you."

It's an origami heart folded from the scrap of the receipt that Perrie had taken straight from Jade's hands before she could pay, insisting that it was her treat.

Jade feels her breath catch and suddenly it's a little difficult to breathe and she pulls on her collar a bit because she can't be about to cry over a paper.

"For me?" She chokes out, her voice just barely sounding normal.

Perrie hums around her last bite of food in her mouth, blonde curls bobbing with the nod of her head.

"Thank you, Perrie." Jade's voice is low and full of affection, and if her eyes sting with unshed tears after Perrie places a tender kiss on her forehead when they depart, that's nobody's business but her own.

----

Small, folded pieces of paper begin to gather in her wallet. There are swans, cute puppy faces with tiny noses drawn on them, various sized stars because – 'get it Jade? You're a star' – there are fish, frogs and even a dinosaur.

But mostly there's hearts.

Jade tries not to read too much into it.

----

When Jade's having a particularly rough day she'll reach into her wallet and pull one origami out and run her nail around the edges, hold it in her palm, or rub one between her thumb and forefinger. At night sometimes she'll lay on her back in the dark and play with that very first heart Perrie gave her at the coffee shop that day.

Eventually she needs to find somewhere else to put them and she knows this, but the thought of not having them with her makes her a little sad, and yes, she knows it's a bit ridiculous to get so attached to a piece of paper, but they're pieces of paper that Perrie gave to her. That Perrie folded and put energy and effort into. She carries too many of them now, and after an almost completely embarrassing moment where an avalanche of them almost falls out as she attempts to pay for lunch, she knows it's time to store them somewhere else because she absolutely refuses to throw them away.

Perrie folds her another heart that day except this time she places a small, light kiss onto it before handing it over and Jade about feels her heart throw itself around her ribcage in response. She knows Perrie can tell because her face crinkles adorably in concern,

"Jade, are you alright? You look a little flustered."

"Yeah, I'm fine, just a little hot. I shouldn't have worn this sweater today," Jade chuckles awkwardly.

Her voice sounds normal and she's proud of that. Especially when Perrie smiles again, the lie easily believed.

----