Undercover

Summary: Secret agent Jade is assigned to spy on Perrie, the crown princess, and eventually kidnap her.

Or, the one where Jade tries to focus on her undercover mission as a bodyguard but Perrie proves to be quite distracting.

When Jade is assigned to spy on Perrie, she's almost disappointed. The mission is almost too simple: observe her surroundings, take notes on daily routines and weaknesses in security, and integrate herself as a trusted bodyguard so that no one suspects a thing when the princess is eventually kidnapped for political leverage. Jade is nothing if not skilled at observation and reservation, able to exude both an aloofness that gives her privacy as well as a confidence that inclines others to trust her.

Imagine her surprise, then, when the first thing Princess Perrie does is give her a nickname.

"Princess Perrie? Meet your new bodyguard, Jade Thirlwall. She has the kind of special skills your father wanted your improved security team to possess," one of the maids had announced, revealing Jade's brooding form.

Perrie glances up from her pastel rose canopy bed with curious eyes. Her hair falls in golden waves down her right shoulder, where it's been meticulously swept.

"Hi, Jadey!" she calls, grinning. "Do you mind if I read out loud?"

"Not at all."

"I'll leave you two to acquaint yourselves," the maid says, already halfway out the door with her cell phone poised at her ear, ready to coordinate something else for the royal family.

Perrie pats the spot next to her on her bed, but Jade opts to pull up a desk chair and sit with her arms crossed. Perrie only giggles before resuming reading aloud, as she had presumably done before Jade arrived.

Try as she might, Jade cannot ignore how often Perrie glances up at her, gauging her reaction. Finally, when there is a lull between chapters, the brunette speaks.

"So... Jadey?"

"Oh," Perrie blinks her blue eyes and peers intently at Jade. "Is it okay for me to call you that?"

Jade can't look away, but she can feel her heart kickstart in her chest.

"It's fine, I guess," she mumbles, trying to ignore the fluttering feeling in her stomach.

----

"I've never had a bodyguard even close to my own age," Perrie tells her the next day, skipping around her room as she readies herself for the trip to the mall they're about to take. Royalty in public is quite the undertaking, apparently, and the staff has been preparing for this excursion since Perrie requested it at breakfast. It's now long past noon and the safety measures are finally all in place so that Perrie can find herself a new jacket.

"I've never even had a female bodyguard, actually," she continues, pausing at her vanity to add some blush to her cheekbones.

"Well, I've never had a princess as a charge," Jade answers. She's never had anyone as a charge – she's never been a bodyguard before – but Perrie doesn't need to know that.

The blonde's lips quirk in acknowledgment. "It's so weird that you're only a year older than me, Jadey."

"Still, I'm older."

"But you're shorter than me," Perrie smirks.

"I am a very serious professional who-"

"Can you even hold a gun with your baby hands?"

Jade pauses.

"You don't want to know all the things I can do with my hands," she warns darkly.

Perrie only giggles and flips her hair, meeting Jade's eyes in the mirror. "Okay, scary."