Lights Will Guide You Home

Summary: The one where Perrie loses her sight in an accident, and Jade helps her cope with the life-changing situation.

There's no more light.

As much as she tries to get around it, to go past it because she knows damn well Perrie needs her, she can't.

Jade freezes in the doorway, her heart sinking to the bottom of her stomach.

There's no more light.

Instead, there's darkness and uncertainty, two things that don't add up when it comes to Perrie Edwards, the sunshine in Jade's life.

Jade truly believes that if the sun was a person walking on Earth, it'd be Perrie.

There's always been something about her eyes that seems to captivate Jade. She noticed it the moment she first fell into them. It's as though brightest star in the universe somehow toppled down from the sky and made a home right there in the clear blue of Perrie's eyes.

As they grew closer over the years, from acquaintances to roommates to best friends, Jade started craving that unwavering and contagious light.

It pierced through all the bad in her life and all was well again.

It chased her doubts away and soothed her soul.

And now... it's gone.

Jade has been awake for more than thirty hours when she steps inside Perrie's hospital room that night.

She was enjoying a trip to France with her family when she had got the call, to inform her that Perrie had been in an accident. Even if the nurse assured her Perrie's life wasn't in danger over the phone, Jade barely took the time to explain to her family members what was going on before hurrying to the airport.

She rushed into the hospital, where a doctor met with her to tell her about Perrie's condition.

Perrie's head had hit the pavement after she was hit by a car earlier that day, and the injuries to her brain left her without sight.

Perrie can tell light from darkness. That's all.

Jade takes a deep breath, attempting to fight against the nerves rooting her feet to the floor, and steps fully into the room, letting the door flap behind her and cut through the deafening silence.

Perrie's head immediately twists towards her at the sound. "Who's there?"

"It's me," Jade croaks, tone strained with emotion when Perrie's gaze can't find hers.

"Jade," Perrie's own voice breaks over the syllable, and it's enough to have tears prick behind Jade's eyes. She pushes them away and takes quick strides to the bed, engulfing her best friend into a tight embrace. Perrie clings to her shirt, a string of sobs tumbling out of her lungs as she angles her face into Jade's neck.

Jade spends the next few minutes whispering reassuring words into Perrie's ear, repeatedly smoothing her palm over her hair, careful to avoid the bandages covering her head wound.

When after a long stretch, Perrie's sobs quieten down to sniffles, Jade pulls back gently, the pads of her thumbs wiping Perrie's tears away. She doesn't know what to say; doesn't know if she should address the subject or let it rest and let Perrie speak about it first.

She goes for the only thing she's certain of, and hopes it's enough for now.

"I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere, Perrie."

Perrie's hand finds Jade's, still resting on her cheek. "I'm sorry you had to rush back here during your holiday."

Jade shakes her head, only to remember a few seconds in that Perrie can't see that. "You're more important to me than any trip. You know that, right?"