Etched on My Heart

Summary: Jade wakes up from a coma and has no memories of the past six years.

"She might not be the same person that you know and love," the doctor explains to the blonde who's clutching the limp hand of her love. "And when she wakes up, she might not remember you."

Perrie focuses on the steady beep of the heart monitor, trying to calm her own heart as she stares at the bandages wrapped around Jade's head.

"Is..." Perrie starts, having to stop and clear her throat because speaking through her tears has always been hard for her.

The doctor is patient, though, and stays silent as Perrie tries to gather her racing thoughts.

"Is it possible at all for her to regain her memory?"

The doctor gives a sorry smile, "I'm sorry, Miss Edwards. Nothing's set in stone, at least not until she wakes up and we can evaluate her condition. It's possible, yes – there are cases where people have been able to remember their past and only struggle with remembering new information – but Jade's received a pretty traumatic hit to her hippocampus. That's the part of the brain that-"

"-is responsible for memory," Perrie finishes for the doctor with a dejected tone.

Perrie helped Jade study for her Psychology test years ago, when they were still high schoolers.

And now Perrie's done with college and Jade... Jade's in a hospital bed.

The doctor gives a slight nod. "Right."

Something inside of the doctor's pocket beeps, and Perrie tears her eyes away from her girlfriend.

"I'm being called to another patient," the doctor states with apologetic eyes.

Perrie attempts to smile, nodding. "That's alright. I'll just be... here."

"I'll send a nurse to check in later," the doctor says, already heading to the door.

And then Perrie's alone.

The only noise in the room aside from the heartbeat monitor is Perrie sniffling. She holds Jade's hand in both of her own, pressing her lips to Jade's palm.

"It's okay if you don't remember me, Jadey," she whispers, words barely managing to get past her lips. "We can start from the beginning. Don't worry... don't worry. We got this. We'll be fine."

Perrie ignores the fact that she's just reassuring herself, because she wants to believe that Jade can hear her.

----

Jade wakes up the next day.

Perrie scrambles to press the button next to the hospital bed, calling for the doctor.

A groan leaves the injured girl, her eyes opening before closing tightly at the bright lights. Perrie feels the hand she's holding pull away. Jade tries to put her hand up to her head, but Perrie's quick to stop her.

"Don't touch it," she says, throat hoarse from crying all night. "You're all bandaged up."

At the voice, Jade makes an attempt to open her eyes.

She blinks, clearly confused, as she stares at the blonde girl next to her.

"Who are-"

"Ah, you're awake," the doctor says upon opening the door and then closing it behind her. "Can you tell me your full name?"

"Jade Thirlwall."

"And do you know where you are, Miss Thirlwall?"

"Uhhh," Jade stammers. "In a hospital?"