Joe Liebgott

Walking up the steps to Richard Winters house made your heart race, Today was the day you were going to see everyone from easy, it had been two years now since the war and you hadn't gone to the first reunion the year before.
You hadn't seen these men for two years.
Of course you was excited but also nervous to see everyone. Or that's that you kept telling yourself at least.

Knocking on the door you heard footsteps and the lock on the door unlock, you took a deep breath in and let it out as the door was swung open.
"And he's me thinking you'd never show up"
Looking up you saw Lewis Nixon leaning on the door with a massive grin on his face.
"Good to see you to lewis" he chuckled and waved you over for a hug, which you took gladly.
After your hug with lew he shut the door and walked you down a hallway leading to the back of the house.
"How have you been Lew?" You asked while following him. He chuckled and shrugged his shoulder.
"Been as good as can be, how about you?" You shrugged as well and he chuckled while shaking his head.
Getting to the end of the hallway he opened a door and held a hand out for you to wait.
"Guys you will never guess who I just picked up at the front door?" There was questions of 'who' and some silly one thrown in.
Lewis moved out the way and you slowly walked in.
Looking up you saw massive smiles on the men's faces.
"Well well look what we have hear lads" you flipped George off as he walked up to you and you heard laughs from some of the guys.
George pulled you in for a hug and you hugged him back.
"You haven't changed a bit Sophie" pulling away you cupped his face and giggled.
"Neither have you George" he chuckled and swung an arm around your shoulder.
George led you over to a group of men you missed so much. Sitting at a table was Bill, Floyd, Chuck, Shifty, Joe Toye, and Don.
"How's our little lady?" Bill asked as you took a set next to him, you rolled your eyes and heard a couple of the boys chuckle.
"Doing fine Bill, how's the leg?" You asked. You had been the one to find bill and Joe after the shelling went off. It did change you that day, and everyone knew that.
"Yeah yeah it's ok, still takes a bit of getting used to but my lovely lady back home doesn't mind it so I'm happy" smiling at bill you looked around the group and saw them all smiling at you.
"What?" You asked. Floyd shock his head.
"You just haven't changed at all, all though you look to have gotten prettier" raising an eyebrow at Floyd you see Chuck hit his head.
"You saying I wasn't pretty before Floyd Talbert? Because you might want to choose your next words very carefully" smirking at him as the group laughed.
"I didn't mean it like that and you know it"
You were about to say something but you heard a voice speak up that you thought you wouldn't have to hear for quite a long time.
"Don't take it to heart Tab, she's just pulling your leg" you didn't want to turn around to face him, but you could see everyone else in the group had turned when hearing the new voice. Some cheered and got up to give him a hug.
"Look who decided to show up Lib" you could hear hands being shock and people asking him how he's been.
You could feel Bills eyes on you from your left and looked at him. Bill was wearing a shit eating grin.
"What happened between you two? Before I left you both were inseparable and then I get home and hear you both went your separate ways, what happened Sophie?" Looking down at your hands you shock your head.
"Absolutely nothing Bill, just went our separate ways and that's it, now if you will excuse me I need the bathroom" getting up before bill could say anything you went around the group who were talking to Joe and headed inside to the kitchen, you couldn't be out there with him. If you'd known he'd be here you wouldn't of come, you didn't hate Joe- no, the problem was you being still in love with the boy, you both went your separate ways after the war because you both wanted different things, you didn't want to move to San Francisco and he didn't want to move to Malibu, you both didn't see the point in staying together if you both didn't want to move to either place, but you were still in love with Joseph Liebgott. It pains you to see him at this reunion, you weren't expecting to see him at all as you'd been told he wasn't coming, but little did you know that the boys of easy company had told you this just cause they know you wouldn't come and also told Joe that you were attending because they knew he'd couldn't say no, Joe was only attending because he knew you were there.

As you leant on the kitchen counter you heard footsteps behind and then they stopped.
"Sophie" sighing you turned to face the man you've been in love with since 1941 and you are still in love with to this day.
"Joe" you whispered out as you locked eyes with him. He had a small smile on his face but it soon vanished once he saw the sadness on your face. Stepping forward he put his hands on your arms rubbing them.
"Hey what's wrong?" He was generally just being really nice to you you could hear the concern in his voice as he spoke. You didn't understand why Joe was so concerned and worried for you, you thought he would've forgotten you by now after almost a year, but it was clean he still cared for you, you didn't know if it was in a loving way or a just him being a friend.
"It's nothing Joe, I'm fine absolutely fine" whispering the last part you stepped away from joes warm touch but he stepped forward and pulled at your hands.
"Don't bullshit me Soph, I know when your upset and it's very clear it has something to do with me, you left the room as soon as I walked in, you couldn't even look me in the eyes until I came in here, so please tell me what's wrong" looking into his eyes made everything come back to you.
They way he used to hold you in his arms while sitting is Bastogne in the freezing snow, the way he'd kiss your head every time he walked past you, the way he'd shove you behind him to protect you when open fire was happening, just the way he was always there for you and the way he loved you made a sob leave your mouth.
"I'm still in love with you Joe, no matter how hard I try to not love you anymore it just never works, I can't look you in the eyes because every time I do it brings back everything we used to do, the hugs, the cuddles in foxholes, the kisses on the head you used to give me, I can't be around you when I know I can't have you" you were expecting to see shock on Joe's face but all you could see was a massive grin as he step forward and cupped your face in his hands.
"I've been in love with you since the day we broke up Sophie, every day since then I wanted you back but I always thought that you never would of wanted me back, but now I realise that the only thing in this world that I need is you I don't care where I live as long as I have you by my side" you didn't say anything but smash your lips on joes as he pulled you tight against his body.
Feeling his lips on yours once again made you sigh with relief Into the kiss, you felt Joe smirk against your lips as he held your check with one hand and his other hand gripping onto your hip.
Joe pulled away from the kiss first but kept his forehead against yours while regaining his breath as did you.
Giggling you locked eyes with Joe who chuckled at you.
"Miss me huh?" He asked while rubbing your arms with his hands.
"You have no idea how much I've missed you Joseph" he glared at you for calling him Joseph, only his mother could get away with calling him that.
"Oh shut up" you said, giving his arm a light smack.
"Should we go sit down then? And you can tell me all what you've been up to?" Taking your hand Joe lead you outside and everyone gave a cheer seeing your hand in joe's.

For the rest of the day you and Joe court up on life back home, about each other's family and work life.
You both were joined at the hip from then on, you and Joe ended up getting married a couple years later, and made a happy life together with no war, no explosives and no blood.