Metaphor of Hope and Friendship, Love Personified

It's not everyday that the stars allow you to meet someone who would make you believe that true love is possible, but I'm one of the luckiest because I've found mine.

Every woman, at one point (or many perhaps) in their lives, wished and longed for that 'spark', that 'magic', that 'fairy tale' in their love story. Myself included. I clung on to this feeble hope, despite the constant ranting in my brain to grow up. I clung on to my concept of fairy tale love as I drown myself in the drunken stupor of the Red Horse beer to further numb the poignant brokenness. Yes, I was broken. I've fallen in love that fell too short. I was in pain.

June 1, 2010. We already had a couple of drinks at 1611 in P. Noval. One of my friends who knew my situation gave my number to his guy friend perhaps to deviate my attention to someone else. We texted and exchanged message with each other, and that setup went on for quite some time. I have to admit it really was a good distraction.

I didn't expect it, but I could still remember very clearly how I prayed one day, telling God that I can feel that this man will play a very big role in my life. It was also unconventional. Yes, he added me up on Facebook, but used a different photo to disguise his real self. He even stalked me when I went to SM San Lazaro with my friends during one of our breaktime. He called me, told me I was with 3 tall girls and we were wearing the blue uniform. That's freaky, to be honest.

I finally discovered that he wasn't the one in the pictures, but that doesn't end whatever little friendship we had started. Since there is acceptance, we finally decided to meet at UST on July 29. I could still vividly recall his first words when he saw - "Ay ang payat mo pala." We spent most of our time getting to know each other more in the Archi Pav beside the Grandstand, and we even took photos on our first meeting. That unconventional friendship magically turned out to be the best love story I longed to have. He did his best to wipe away my tears and turn my brokenness to just one of life's bittersweet lessons. He worked so hard to win me, to love me. He is my bestfriend turned into a lover. He is my opposite and a beautiful complement. I was left with nothing but happiness and gratitude with the realization that without the pain of the love that's not meant to be, I would not meet this wonderful person.

Yes, it is my unconventional, unexpected, magical, fairy tale love story. Instead of having our dates in a conventional, fancy restos, we had our first few dates at Manila Zoo, Intramuros, and Eco Park.

We are already in our 4 happy years and 6 months up to date.

He is the silver linings in the clouds after the storm. He is one beautiful metaphor of friendship, love, and hope. Or, friendship, love, and hope personified.

I wouldn't trade it for any other love story. I wouldn't have it any other way, and if given the power of time, I would have it rewritten all over again.

ASP
2007
College of Education