Opposites Attract

We broke that belief. At least, I thought we did.

Loner ako noong high school.. I rarely talked unless I was spoken to. I did have friends but they don't connect to me well. I was OK with that. We would all sit around a table and they'll go on about their day while I silently listen and nod. Sure, it may seem gloomy but my life wasn't that bad.

Whenever I feel lonely, I watch movies; movies my friends never wanted to watch with me. Whenever I feel sad, I listen to music; my music taste is unusual, though, so no one can relate to them. On the off-chance that my friends do talk to me, I can always talk sports. I love sports, you might say I love sports too much. Ask me about the 1990 NHL Stanley Cup, I can paint you quite a picture. Or even the MVP of the 57th UAAP season. I'm weird like that.

That's when you came.

I started to notice you. You started to notice me. For some weird reason, we like the exact same things. Things clicked for us. I was kind of a loner but you broke that. You came into my life and brought me into the light. After a lot of talking, texting and whatnots, naging tayo rin. Hindi ko maipaliwanag yung sayang naramdaman ko noong sinagot mo ako.

""Napakaswerte ko naman,"" sabi ko sa sarili ko. Paano ba naman kasi, yung kauna-unahang girlfriend ko, sobrang parehas sa akin. Hindi kami nawawalan ng pinag-uusapan. Kahit ba naman sa pagkain, parehas kami ng gusto, ang saya, 'di ba?

After graduating, it seemed fated that we were both accepted into UST, our dream school. During our breaks, we would talk non-stop, even when we get home, we'd still talk. Things went so smoothly even after years of being together, when suddenly it all went wrong. You slowly turned cold, you'd suddenly hang up on me, cancel on our dates, ignore me when we eat. What happened?

Of course, the day came when you asked for a break-up. I don't know what I did that caused this. Was it another guy? Was it because she grew tired of me?

That was last year. Now I'm alone again, but things are so different. I can't do anything I did to conquer loneliness because now they make me even lonelier. I can't listen to The Foo Fighters without hearing your off-key singing which I loved. I can't watch the PBA without remembering how you always talked trash against Brgy. Ginebra in front of the TV. Hell, I can't even watch Harry Potter because I still remember you mouthing along the entire movie.

Paano kita makakalimutan sa ganitong lagay? Lahat ng bagay at aspeto ng buhay ko, naging bahagi ka rin, at nung iniwan mo ako, iniwan mo rin ang piraso ng pagmamahal mo sa lahat ng mga bagay na yun.

"Do not fall in love with people like me.
I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth.
I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible. And when I leave you will finally understand, why storms are named after people."

Eto ba ginawa mo sa akin? Gusto ko lang malaman yung rason kung bakit mo ako iniwan after nearly 6 years.

Is this why they say opposites attract? Because if similar people get together, it's even more painful? I thought we broke that belief.

Even after all this, I'll get over you, I know I will.

The King of Wishful Thinking
2009
Faculty of Arts and Letters