Chapter 119

Chapter 119

Len.

I went to the florist with Rin yesterday to get some flowers for my mom. I sorely wished that she could come to the festival, but she wouldn't be able to, but at least she was recovering. It had only been a little over a week and already, her health was better. We also called Dr. Kiyoteru ahead of time and requested that we come in to visit earlier than usual, because it was a Sunday.

"Mom!" I ran in with the bouquet and grinned. Rin had left me to have a little alone time with my parent. She laughed and smiled weakly. I put the bouquet down beside her and pulled a chair over, "How are you?"

"I'm better," she said after a short pause, "I don't know about my job, though..."

"They'll understand, won't they?" I asked.

"Yeah, but it doesn't look good," she said sadly, "If they need someone to fill my place, that might be it for me."

"We'll find another one if that happens," I clasped her hand in mine, "But it won't. Don't worry about that; just focus on getting better, okay?"

"Right," she nodded, "Len, I'm so happy."

"Hmm?"

"We've never spoken this much," she admitted, "I may be lying in a hospital bed, unable to move, but I finally get to fix my mistake..."

"Don't call it a mistake," I said, shaking my head, "It's not your fault. You worked because you were worried about my future. Sacrifices have to be made."

"Still, I shouldn't have sacrificed your youth..."

"Mom, please," I pleaded, "It's fine. Don't...don't talk about the past."

She sighed. "You know, Len...sometimes I think about Ren and..."

"You wish he were still here?" I tried, remembering that my mom didn't know about his death. I was talking about the divorce, anyway.

She shook her head. "No," she whispered, "If we were still married, I wouldn't have you, and I love you, Len. I don't want him to come back."

I swallowed slowly. "Just...forget about the past, okay, mom?"

"Len, why were you crying that day?" She looked me in the eye, "When you took the photograph of me and your father."

I took a deep breath, not wanting to lie, but not wanting to tell my mom the whole story about Ren and Rin and me. She was in enough pain as it was.

"I just...I was wondering," I half-lied, "I was thinking about what it would be like if you were still married."

"It wouldn't have happened."

I nodded. "I know, but my mind just wandered off for a while. I was thinking about strange things."

"We all have those times."

I sighed. "A few weeks ago, I took Rin to our little place in the park."

"Oh?"

I nodded. "We watched the sunset and talked."

"So you really like her, then?"

My face flushed a little. "I love her," I whispered. My mother giggled.

"I can see it in your eyes, Len," she sang, "You don't just love her, you really, really love her!"

"M-Mom!"

Gumi.

Yuma and I met outside the mall. It was kind of hot outside, but there would be air conditioning inside, so I was dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants. Yuma showed up in a thin, coal-coloured, long-sleeved shirt that clung to his skinny figure. I waved to him once I saw him, crossing the parking lot. He waved back and once we were inside, I flashed him a grin and showed off my wallet, which was full of cash.