Chapter 71

Chapter 71

Kaito.

I walked home with Miku. My hands were in my pockets, but she had linked her arm with mine, threading it through the gap between my arm and body.

"Maybe we should sing Cendrillon," she mumbled, "It's better than Cantarella, isn't it? More suited, I mean."

"More suited to what?" I frowned. She looked beyond huggable with her face scrunched up, all deep in thought like that.

"More suited to our relationship!" She said.

"Ah," I thought about it for a minute, "No, Cantarella is best. You liked Mikuo before, right?"

"What if I don't want to acknowledge that?"

"It's just a song, princess," I said, eyeing the worried expression that was forming on her face, "We could sing both, if you want."

"Yeah, we could...," her voice trailed off. I pulled a hand out of my pocket and gently raked it through her hair.

"I want to take you out for dinner," I said.

"Well, why don't you?" She asked.

I slumped. "I'm broke," I pouted, "That's why I could only afford to buy you ice cream on Saturday!"

"You're so sweet, Kaito," Miku blushed, raising her fingers and brushing them against my mouth, "You make me melt."

I stopped moving and looked down at her. "Your touch makes me freeze up," I answered, "In a good way."

She giggled and took my hand. "We're north and south," she said, making me skip along with her towards her home, "Hopelessly stuck, whether we want to be or not."

I grinned. "It's not that," I said, "We're linked, that's all. You just need to acknowledge the connection."

Miku stopped skipping and planted a quick kiss on my cheek. "I've acknowledged it," she smiled.

Luka.

I exhaled slowly and knocked on Gakupo's door. He opened it promptly, smiling.

"Ready?" I asked. He nodded. He was wearing a dark blue button-down shirt and black pants. Such a simple outfit, but it really did take my breath away.

"I brought my car," I said, leading him across the street, "It's nowhere near as nice as yours but it works, I suppose."

"You can drive mine, if you want, Luka," he jangled his car keys in front of me.

"Tempting," I smiled, "But it's fine. I'm more comfortable driving mine."

"I'll drive, if you want to sit in my car," Gakupo offered. I shook my head.

"Let me do it," I said. He chuckled, putting his hands in his pockets as I unlocked my car and we got in.

Maybe I was losing it. Maybe it was the dead cat, Meringue. I don't know what it was, but I knew that I was falling, falling somewhere, into something. Some sort of commitment that involved Gakupo, a guy that I'd almost never date.

And there I was, taking him to see a movie with me.

Rin.

Friday! I was happy, but I was also sad. I stared at myself in the mirror, messing with my hair and trying to make myself look like Len. It didn't take a lot of effort, and I was having fun, but it was an agonizing sort of fun. I was trying to make myself look like the boy I could no longer have. It felt creepy and stupid, but I kissed my mirror image quickly, blushing as I pulled away.

Hey, no one needed to know what I did in the bathroom, right? It was a secret, and besides, what did it matter? It's not easy, getting over someone you like, and there I was, lugging myself through what some would take at face value to be typical teenage angst.

"But it's not angst!" I yelled in the shower, to nobody in particular, "It's love!"

At least, I thought it was. I couldn't help it if thinking about Len made me go crazy for him all over again. Maybe he was going through the same thing. We'd have to get over it, though, and that's why I was planning on avoiding him.

I put on a dress that was buttery yellow and lined with fancy black lace. As I tied an ebony collar around the middle portion of my neck, I mumbled to myself, which was also kind of creepy and weird.

"Okay, Rinny," I said under my breath, tying the knots, "Just watch him from a distance. Pretend you're just crushing on him again, and it'll pass. Just try to forget his...mouth against yours, and his...argh!"

I kicked the laundry hamper, which was about a foot away from me, in frustration. I couldn't stop those experiences from coming back whenever I thought about him.

"...But we'll have to try, won't we?" I said to myself weakly, looking at the blond girl in the mirror.

I had a proper breakfast that morning, and I felt bad about being so mopey around Doris last night, so I put on my best fake smile when she greeted me.

"My friends are coming over after school," I told her after breakfast, as I put my shoes on, "We're going to be rehearsing for the concert."

"I'll have snacks and accommodations ready, miss," Doris smiled sweetly. I nodded and left the house.

This chapter was hard to write, for some reason...
You guys, I'm thinking of publishing something called Spectrum of Yellows: Deleted Scenes once I'm done this story. It will contain all the writing that I removed and changed, stuff you never read, sort of like, well, the deleted scenes of a movie!
How would you like that? I'm asking a bit early, but I just want to know if anyone is interested in reading what could have happened.
Also, in my outline, the stuff that happened in this chapter was theoretically supposed to happen ten chapters ago. That's good news for you, because now I'm pretty sure I'll need more than 100 parts to finish. It just takes a lot of time to flesh things out. I know I'm bringing this up, but please don't think about the end just yet!
See you next chapter. I really enjoy reading your comments and reactions, they put a smile on my face!