Chapter 96

Chapter 96

Mew.

"Hurry!" I yelled as Miriam ran after me, "Rin's place is down this street...I think!"

"You think?" She called from behind, panting as she caught up, "That's what you said for the last four streets!"

"Well, there's a big house down this street, so that just increases the odds," I explained between breaths. The boxes of cookies and pastries were starting to feel like boulders in my arms.

"There's a big house on every street!" Miriam groaned, "Whatever..."

"Hey!" Someone called from down the street. I caught a glimpse of short brown hair in the distance, and that voice sounded pretty familiar.

"Is that Meiko?" Miriam frowned.

"I think so," I said, picking up the pace again, "Come on, this one is it!"

I huffed along with Miriam down the street. My arms ached and I felt as though they would fall to the ground any second, letting the food fall, as well.

"Here, let me help!" Meiko ran up to me and Miriam and took some of the load. She grabbed a couple of boxes from my pile and a couple from hers. We both sighed and thanked her.

"So this is Rin's house," I said, catching my breath and looking at the large, black iron gates, "It's nice..."

"Her father was a big businessman," Meiko explained, leading us past the gates and across the serene and beautiful garden. Mikuo stood by the door, hurrying up to us once he saw us and taking some more of the boxes.

"We decorated the place," he explained, "The party's going to be in the living room, at least, so that's all we decorated."

"No, it's just that the living room is so huge!" Meiko laughed, "What did you guys get?"

I looked up at the sky thoughtfully, recalling what I could. "Cookies, chips, candy...and some other stuff."

"Other stuff?" Mikuo frowned. Miriam nodded.

"Miku gave us a lot of money!" She beamed, "The delivery truck should be here soon!"

Meiko and Mikuo stared at us with both their eyes and mouths wide.

"Y-You mean that all these boxes...," Meiko stuttered.

Miriam shook her head. "That's what we could carry!" She exclaimed before whispering, "There's a delivery charge for too much stuff, you know."

We were all shaken by the sudden honking coming from outside. Mikuo put the boxes down by the entrance door and sprinted out.

"Speak of the devil," Miriam whispered with a grin. I nodded.

"The stuff is here!" Mikuo hollered, "Make room; they're bringing it in!"

Miriam, Meiko and I hurriedly took the meagre boxes that we had carried inside to the kitchen, where a young hazel haired woman was busy unpacking.

"That's Doris," Meiko said quickly, "Rin's guardian."

"They're coming," Mikuo ran in, "I told them to drop it all off in the kitchen. Hope that's okay with all of you?"

Doris looked up at him. "How much food is there?"

Mikuo paused and counted on his fingers, mumbling the numbers under his breath before looking back at Doris.

"Twenty pies, fifteen cheesecakes, fifteen other cakes, two hundred donuts, five hundred donut holes, one hundred regular salted pretzels, one hundred chocolate covered pretzels, fifty tubs of ice cream in various flavours such as chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, leek, orange, banana, caramel, cappuccino, and others..."