Chapter 114

Chapter 114

Haku.

It wasn't that dark when I arrived at school, spotting Dell by the front door, dressed very nicely. He was wearing a black suit and a dark blue tie. Sure, it was formal, but he always seemed like the kind of guy who'd dress up like that.

Besides, at that point, I was pretty sure he liked me. What I still didn't understand was why he wanted to get rid of me if he had feelings for me.

I pushed the thought aside for a while and focused on the present. I approached Dell and he smiled, so I smiled back.

"Nice suit," I drawled. He chuckled sheepishly. The normally composed and strict principal was having a hard time keeping himself together when I was around.

"Y-You look pretty nice yourself, Ms. Yowane," he replied, leading me to where his car was parked.

"Come on, you've called me by my first name before, why not now?" I elbowed him playfully and he nearly jumped.

"Sorry, it's just..."

"Dell," I smiled a little, "We're on a date. You couldn't have made it any more obvious, hmm?"

"W-What?" He pulled the side door open and I got in. He got into the driver's seat, trying not to make eye contact.

"If you like me, then why did you want to get rid of me?" I was good at being blunt. Dell, unfortunately, didn't take blunt answers easily. He blushed and looked down at his shoes.

"I couldn't," he said slowly as he fumbled with the keys, "I couldn't like you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He started the car and began driving out of the parking lot. "You were distracting me, Haku."

I slapped him across the face. "Continue," I said calmly. He rubbed his cheek and sighed.

"Sorry," he mumbled, "That's basically how it is. When I found out you had a drinking problem that was affecting your job, I took it as a chance to get rid of you."

I slapped him again. "Keep going."

"Sorry...," he apologized again, "But...yesterday, with those two kids showing up, I realized that you really were over the drinking habit, and you really liked kids. It didn't feel right to fire you anymore. Still, I wanted to get over you."

I huffed and he looked at me, fear in his eyes as he anticipated another slap. So I slapped him once more. It was actually getting kind of fun. "So you didn't want to like me, but you couldn't help it. You wanted to fire me, you wanted to strip me of the job I loved, just so that you could get over me?"

He nodded furiously. "B-But then I realized that even if I did fire you, I still wouldn't get over you! It'd be worse, in fact, because I'd never see you again! That's why I ran after you and tried to get you to stay."

"Why didn't you just tell me?" I raised my voice because he was actually starting to get on my nerves.

"Tell you what?"

"At the crosswalk yesterday, why didn't you just tell me that you loved me?"

He was silent. I glared at him and turned to look out the window. "I don't like you, Dell. I don't love you, either."

"You...don't?" I heard him exhale, "I kind of figured..."

"You're kind of nice looking, though, but you're stupid. How'd you even become a principal, with a brain like that?"

"Er...long story," he mumbled, "Look, Haku, I'm sorry. If you don't want to go, you don't have to. I put you through all of this because I'm an emotional idiot."