Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Len.

It was actually half past nine when I showed up at Rin's place. I couldn't help it; I was excited.

"Len!" I watched as Rin flung open the iron gates and jumped onto me, hugging me a bit too tightly.

"Whoa!" I yelped as she spun me around and around. Finally, she let go.

"Come on in! You're early! I made breakfast today!" She took my hand and dragged me into her home.

"I'm sorry, but your place is the most amazing house I have ever seen," I said honestly. Sure, I had seen it yesterday, but it was still incredible.

"It's not so great when you have it all to yourself, you know," Rin said as she led me to the dining table, "Sit here. Your pancakes inspired me to make today's breakfast, so I'll be right back with the food!"

I nodded slowly. The table was already set with plates, napkins and cutlery. "Do you need any help?" I asked.

"Nah, it's fine," Rin said, "I'll be right back!"

I waited for Rin to return, twiddling my thumbs and looking around. I couldn't stop thinking about her. My eyes had fallen onto the cute, sky blue dress that she was wearing when she had come to greet me at the gates. It swayed as she walked, approaching the table now, balancing three plates in her hands.

She sat down beside me, putting the plates down. "I specifically told the cook to let me make the breakfast myself this morning," she said, subconsciously pushing her blond bangs behind her ear. I couldn't stop staring at her.

"I'm sure it tastes great, Rin," I said as she gave me a plate. She laughed.

"You're going to think this is kind of stupid, but I actually spent all of yesterday afternoon getting the cook to teach me!" She said.

I shook my head. "That's not stupid," I said. The plates were filled with fried eggs, pancakes, waffles and toast. There were also a few bowls full of chopped fruit, and a jug of orange juice, as well as one of water.

"You didn't have to do all this," I added.

Rin smiled sweetly. "I wanted to," she said.

"You look really pretty," I blurted out, and then covered my mouth with my hands, "I mean...in that dress...without makeup on. I mean...the food looks pretty, and..."

Rin reached for my hands and lowered them to my lap. I frowned. I knew my face was red, and now she knew that, too.

"Thanks," Rin said softly, "For all of those compliments."

"I'm so sorry," I shook my head.

"Don't be," she said. I noticed that she was eyeing my hair, the way it fell over my blue eyes almost like curtains. Her hand ran up my forehead slowly and she pushed my hair back.

"You didn't tie it," she said softly.

"What?" I trembled under her gentle touch.

"Your hair, you didn't tie it into that cute little palm tree ponytail," she continued. I frowned and quickly reached into my pocket for my hair tie.

"D-Do you like it better when it's tied?" I stuttered. She was leaning off of her chair, one hand against my leg and the other in my hair.

"Hmm," she seemed so deep in thought, "I'm not sure yet. You look cute both ways."

Oh my God, I'm losing it, I thought. Unsure of what to do, I buried the hair tie back into my pocket.

"You smell like oranges, Rin," I whispered. Her smile intensified, but she still didn't seem to be paying very much attention...or maybe she was paying too much attention.

"Thanks," she said, burying her face in my hair. I felt her breath against my ear and her fingers against my neck.

"We should probably eat," I stammered, "I mean...it'll get cold, and you worked so hard..."

That made Rin snap out of her spell. I wasn't sure if I should be happy or sad.

"Y-Yeah," she smiled, clearly blushing, "Let's eat!"

Kaito.

"Saturday!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, sitting straight up in bed and throwing my sheets off of me. I ran around the room a couple of times before jumping back onto the bed, my bangs messy and all over my face.

I sat silently for a few minutes, just staring out into space and thinking about my princess. What would happen once I was at her door, waiting after having rung her doorbell? She'd open the door, for sure, but would she be in her pyjamas? Maybe she'd be ready to go outside, already wearing a cute, baby blue skirt and long white cardigan, fingers bent inwards towards the palms and holding the sleeves down.

I blushed. She was just too adorable, and she knew that. And now she knew, and was denying, that I also knew that, and that I loved her. She would probably keep her icy cold demeanour on when she opened the door, but I was fine with that.

I loved her in every condition.

I took a shower and put on a black shirt, jeans, and my loose-fitting, thin blue coat. I considered whether I should wear my blue scarf or not, and then finally decided to. I was Kaito, and I was going to be myself.

After having breakfast, which really wasn't much more than a glass of orange juice, a taco and a bowl of ice cream, I double checked that I had my wallet with all the money in it, and then I stepped out and locked the door.

The songs of birds and the warm sun welcomed me. I sighed loudly, grinning like an absolute idiot. Miku was on my mind.

I walked at a steady pace towards her home. It wasn't as huge as one would expect, but actually rather modest. Sure, she was a famous teen pop idol, but she liked her life at least a little simple.

I rang the doorbell, hardly able to stand still. I shuffled and fidgeted, eventually burying my hands in my pockets, waiting for the door to open.

But it didn't. I checked my watch. I had been waiting for five minutes. Stepping back, I looked up and tried to check her window. It was shut and the curtains were drawn.

I went back to the door. I rang the doorbell again.

"Miku!" I called, cupping my hands in front of my mouth. I eyed the windows to see if any were open. It wasn't like her to suddenly get up and leave home on a Saturday morning.

"Miku, are you in there?" I reached for the doorbell again, just as the doorknob rotated and the door was pried open slightly.

From the crack, I saw Miku's face, my princess's face. Her eyes were dark and her cheeks were wet. Her hair was horribly messy, in a way that was unlike her, and it wasn't tied into those signature pigtails of hers.

She looked hurt. My smile melted and a frown froze over my face.

"Miku," I whispered, "Were...were you crying?"

Will the feels ever cease? Yes? No? Lemme tell you, it's only going to get crazier from here on out. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but this story is slowly but surely approaching its end. I don't think it'll be longer than a total of one hundred parts.

Thanks to everyone who reads, votes, comments and supports! Your support gives me even more strength to keep writing.

See you next chapter!