Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Gumi.

"I thought you'd want a better one than the one you have," Yuma grinned as I hid my face under my hair. He knew it was red. He knew, and he was absolutely loving every moment of this.

"How...did you know?" I whimpered. I looked down in my lap, where I held the contents of the envelope tightly.

"I didn't know the moment you took it. I found out only a few days ago, actually. ...Kaito told me," he said, tousling my hair gently, "Do you like it?"

"You're very handsome, Yuma," I whispered honestly, looking down at the photograph of himself that he had given me, "But I always felt embarrassed and ashamed..."

"You don't need to, Gumi. It's for you," his voice was softer than feathers against my face, "I want you to keep it."

The photograph was still in my lap. As I looked down at it, Yuma kept tousling my hair.

I ran my finger along the face of the Yuma in the photograph, smiling to myself.

Miku.

That idiot Len, he never told me he could sing! Rin brings him along one afternoon and he just blows us all away. I'm just glad he agreed to perform with Rin for the Song of Summer. I respect that kid on a whole other level now.

Of course, there were two, maybe even three, reasons behind why I asked him to perform. One was that he sounded amazing. Two, he liked Rin, and they seemed cute together, so I figured that this might help move things along, and three, with Rin performing with him, it'll be easier than performing alone.

I just knew that kid was going to make me proud.

As I reflected on this, and everything else that happened that day, I was sitting in my bathtub, which was brimming with bubbles. I sighed loudly and shut my eyes. And then I remembered. Kaito didn't come to the meeting. Getting angry all over again, I picked my phone off of the counter and dialled his number. It was almost four at night, sure, but Kaito wouldn't mind.

"Hello?" He sounded as though he was still asleep. I had the speaker on, so I held the phone an arm's length away from me when I spoke.

"Kaito, why didn't you come to the meeting after school?" I got right to the point.

"M-Miku, why are you naked?"

I blushed at his words. "You weirdo, what the heck are you talking about?"

"I-It's okay, I've put my phone face down on the floor, but...why are you video-calling me if you're in the bath?"

Suddenly, I understood what was going on. "Eek!" I put my palm over the camera, "I'm sorry! I meant to do a voice call, but..."

I heard Kaito sigh. "It's okay, princess," he said sincerely, "I'm not looking."

My cheeks became red again. "I've...covered the camera, so it's cool."

Kaito.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come to the meeting," I whispered, still lying on the floor, with my phone face down beside me. I had to run and pick it out of the trash, which was fortunately mostly empty.

There was a pause on Miku's end, and then finally, she said, "Are you alright, Kaito?"

"Huh?"

"You don't sound alright," Miku's voice was soft and fleeting, like the curtains grazing my figure, "You can talk to me about it, Kaito. We're friends."

I can't, I thought, I really can't, Miku...

"I'm sorry," I whispered, "I can't talk about it."

"Kaito, we've known each other for years, ever since we were kids!"

"I know, Miku, I know!" I cupped my hands over my face, "But I can't, it's just...so hard."

"Is there some girl you like?" Miku's voice made my body freeze, "Are you afraid of telling her that you like her or something like that?"

I managed to smile, but it was a sad smile. I pulled some of my blue hair over my eyes. "Yeah," I spoke softly, "I've always respected her and her privacy. She's always been...my princess. She's sweet and caring in a way that hurts, but that's good, because without her, I'd probably be someone else..."

"Go on," Miku's voice was crackly as it escaped my phone's speaker.

I lay on my back, my arm outstretched towards the ceiling, palm splayed out, scaling the painted sky of my room against my fingers. "My princess doesn't know how much I love her, and how willing I am to take responsibility for her. She's in love with...someone else. And now I'm afraid, Miku. I'm afraid that if I tell her how much she means to me, she'll think that it's just a crush, and she'll shrug it off. She'll reject me, just like that."

"I would never do that to you, Kaito."

CAN YOU TAKE THE FEELS, Miku x Kaito shippers?! ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆