Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Luka.

Gakupo and I sat at the dining table across from each other, silently eating breakfast. Every now and then I glanced at him, and he'd be eating slowly, and he had a glazed look in his eyes.

"Gakupo," I began, finishing my toast. He looked up at me.

"Yes, Ms. Luka?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "You can call me Luka, you know," I muttered, "We're not at school."

He sighed. "Right. Sorry, Luka," he frowned, "I just...I'm sorry, but I need to go find Meringue. The food's really good, and I appreciate all this, but I just can't eat right now."

Slowly, he stood up and walked over to the sink and washed his hands. I watched as he rubbed his hands with the soap and rinsed.

"I'll come with you," I said once he was done.

"Hmm? Oh, no, Luka, you don't have to," he shook his head, "I'm sure you're tired enough as it is..."

I raised an eyebrow. Gakupo certainly wasn't acting like himself. Even last night, he was his usual, smooth self, but now...he really seemed worried.

Gakupo.

I always knew that deep inside, Luka was a kind woman. She was doing all this for me, and she even made me breakfast, but I was too worried about Meringue. She was a young cat, and it wasn't like her to run off. If she got caught in the rain, I was sure that she would die.

"Come on, I'm getting my coat on," she said, "You finish eating."

The last thing I wanted to do with Luka was to argue, so I nodded and wolfed down the rest of the food. I was both worried and thrilled. On one side, Meringue was out there, somewhere, in danger, and on the flip side, Luka was coming with me to help look for her.

"Alright," she said, returning to the kitchen. She was wearing a coat and gloves, and there was an umbrella in her hands, "Let's go."

Miku.

When I finally pulled away and looked at Kaito through half-closed eyes, he was blushing madly, his hands over his face. I was holding him by the shoulders, and he seemed to be trembling, too.

"M-Miku!" He stuttered, "Why did you do that?"

"I don't know," I answered, "But do you think I could do it again?"

He looked at me as though I was crazy. "B-But you...you..."

I kissed him again, pulling him closer. "Maybe I could give you a chance," I smirked. He was even redder this time, and I knew that I was probably looking just as bad.

"But you didn't have to...I mean, wasn't this your first kiss?" Kaito blubbered, looking around at everything but me.

I nodded. "And yours?" I asked with a smile. Since the two of us were so closely knit, we told each other things that we wouldn't normally tell others, and we could read each other like a book, at least when we were younger. He knew that I had never kissed anyone before, and I knew the same was true for him. Now, I knew why.

His eyes met mine and he nodded slowly. "Yeah," he whispered just as thunder boomed and droplets of rain began to fall down on us. Our hair and clothes were drenched by the sudden, torrential rain.

Summer rain, I thought as Kaito embraced me.

"Once more?" He whispered into my ear. I nodded. He held me tightly and drew me in for another kiss, his soaked bangs of blue kissing my forehead as our lips met.

He had been waiting ten years for this, and maybe I had been waiting, too. I just hadn't realized it until now.

Len.

"The sky's getting dark," I mumbled. Rin looked up at the daubs of grey above us.

"You think it's going to rain?" She asked. I shrugged.

"We should hurry," I said, "It might, and I was stupid enough to not check the weather..."

She smiled. "We'll just have to beat the rain, then, huh?"

I nodded as she began to sprint. "Hey, wait up!" I called, chasing after her.

She laughed, eventually slowing down. "I can't run like Gumi can," she said, panting.

"Neither can I," I said as a droplet of water fell onto my nose. I looked up at the sky, "Too late."

"Relax, Len!" Rin smacked me on the shoulder, "We'll dry up once we reach my house!"

I nodded, but I wasn't really listening to what she was saying.

"You look pretty even like this," I whispered, pushing her hair to the sides of her face. She kept that grin of hers painted onto her face.

"Thanks," she nodded, "You don't look so bad yourself, Len. Now let's get going."

I followed her down the streets. It was around noon, but it looked like night, the way the sun was blocked out by the clouds. Thunder rumbled every now and then, and the sound of raindrops making contact with the tarmac was like the sound of spilling a bag of marbles onto the sidewalk, a melody of heavy clicking sounds as the beads scattered.

We could barely see the world in front of us, and the rain seemed to be getting worse, but we reached those signature iron gates that marked Rin's home. She unlocked them and I pushed, and then we trekked across the stone plates in the garden, holding hands both out of affection and as a precautionary measure, in case one of us slipped.

"Safe," I sighed, leaning against the wall of the hallway once we were in, "Safe, but far from dry."

Rin took her shoes off on the mat, and I followed. "Come on," she said, "We'll dry up and get something to eat."

So much fangirling! This story is nearing its end, but I've still got a number of twists up my sleeve before the closing act! I'm gonna miss all of you when that happens...

。・゜・(ノД')・゜・。

But there's still thirty chapters or so left! We still have a ways to go! The good news is, once I'm done this Vocaloid fanfiction, I'll be writing new ones!

Vote, comment, share, all that jazz. Thanks for reading!

Tell me what you thought of the Miku x Kaito scene! I wanted to write a lot more, but I forced myself to keep it minimal and basic, because sometimes that has maximum shock/fangirling value (!).

Okay, enough blabber! See you next chapter!