Chapter 67

Chapter 67

Rin.

"Len, I'm sorry," I whispered as Miku got the call with Gakupo ready. He looked at me with surprise.

"Don't be sorry," he said, "What's wrong with me isn't your fault..."

He caressed my cheek gently with his thumb and leaned closer, but then suddenly pulled back and turned away.

"S-Sorry," he mumbled. I didn't say anything, but I was still confused. Why was he suddenly staying away from me like that? I didn't want to force him to do anything, but I wanted to know what was going on.

I stayed silent, biting back my queries. The silence between Len and I was unnerving, but it didn't last very long, which was a relief.

"The Song of Summer is all about the end of the school year and the start of summer," Oliver announced as everyone shuffled in their seats.

Kaito nodded. "The songs we've usually done are upbeat and happy."

"Hello?" I heard Gakupo's voice crackle its way through the laptop's speakers, "Let's get the ones we're doing for sure out of the way, first."

Meiko sat up suddenly. "Hey, Mr. Gakupo, why aren't you coming to school?"

"Meiko!" Oliver hissed. She stuck her tongue out at him.

"I'm kind of sick," Gakupo let out a few coughs that were clearly fake, "And...I don't know when I'll be back."

Miku grit her teeth. Somehow, she still looked cute. "You better show up next week, Mr. Gakupo! If not to teach, then only for the club!"

"Okay, okay!"

"We've always performed Melt," Kaito said, "And sometimes, World is Mine."

Miku nodded. "Right. Those two are imperative."

I raised my hand. "Len and I will duet Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder," I said quickly. Oliver clapped his hands together.

"That song is awesome, Rin," he beamed. I broke out into a smile.

"Thanks," I said, looking at Len, "You're fine with that, right?"

"Hmm?" He blinked, "Yeah."

Kaito.

Len looked better than he did at the start of the well, but he still seems kind of out of it. Throughout the meeting, he offered his suggestions almost as actively as everyone else.

"Alright," Miku said, munching on a leek and looking down at the sheet of paper that lay in front of her, "So we'll start with World is Mine, then Kaito will perform Ice. After that, Rin and Len will sing Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder, Kaito and I will do Cantarella. We'll have an intermission, and then some other songs, and then everyone will sing World's End Dancehall together. Finally, I'll end with Melt."

She glared at Yuma, then at Meiko, and finally at Oliver. "You three...and you, Mr. Gakupo, still need to decide on your songs!"

The three that were present nodded furiously, and Gakupo assured her through instant messages that he would decide on a few.

"Meeting adjourned!" Miku announced, slamming the laptop shut, "In a few days, we will meet and rehearse!"

I got up and stared at Miku, who was chewing a piece of leek thoughtfully, arms crossed. The members of the club began to get up and leave.

"Don't stress out over this," I said softly. She looked up at me.

"We can't screw up," she said after swallowing, "Everything has to be perfect. And besides...Len's attitude is bugging me. What if he doesn't get along with Rin?"

"He knows better than that," I tousled Miku's hair and she protested, pulling my hand away, "Even if things are bugging him, he'll cooperate."

"I sure hope you're right," she mumbled, "Or else I may start to regret my decision to make him sing."

"Hey, I heard those recordings of him and Rin singing," I said, "They sound perfect, like two puzzle pieces clicking together. Like their voices were made for each other. It's amazing."

"Hmm."

I hugged Miku tightly, grinning. "If only our voices sounded so perfect together!"

"Hey, we sound good together, okay?" She grumbled, letting me embrace her, "But it's true, those two sound way better. It's almost uncanny..."

Len.

Rin didn't wait for me, but it's not like I expected her to. She just got up from her seat, said a quiet little "bye" and walked out the door.

I'm the one who ran after her. I'm the one who grabbed her by the wrist, maybe just a bit too hard, and I'm the one who started the conversation.

"Rin," I said softly, letting my gaze sink into hers, "I need to tell you something."