Chapter 115

Chapter 115

Yuma.

I picked up Gumi at her place the next day. She opened the door before I could even knock, dressed in blue short pants and a bright green shirt. I opened my mouth to greet her but before I could, she hurled herself at me, crashing against my figure and hugging me.

"Good morning!" She exclaimed, tightening her grip. I never doubted how strong she was, and maybe it was because of the remaining bruises from a week or so ago, but her hug was so tight that it hurt.

"Oh, right!" She seemed to remember that a moment later and loosened her grip, "Are they almost all better?"

"The bruises?" I asked and she nodded, so I smiled slyly, "Why don't you take a look?"

She blushed, which made her look cuter than usual. "M-Maybe later," she stuttered. I leaned towards her.

"How about now?" I whispered playfully. Her body tensed and she sighed.

"Come in," she mumbled, dragging me into her home, "Mom, Yuma's here!"

"I wanted to come in, anyway," I mumbled, running a hand through my hair as the girl pulled me in.

The next person to hug me was Gumi's mother. She didn't hug me as tightly, thank God, and before we could talk, Gumi dragged me up to her room. The girl was really too eager.

"Let's get this over with," she said, crossing her arms and closing the door. I grinned and pulled my shirt over my head. The bruises were better, but they were still there, though they weren't as dark.

"Does it still hurt?" Gumi's voice was small.

I paused before speaking. "No," I lied.

"Stop," she said.

"What?"

"You're lying," she grimaced.

"I'm not going to be honest," I said with a sigh, "Because I don't want to hurt you."

"You just did," she whispered, "I still can't believe it. How could Kaito do something like this?"

"I told you to drop it!" I snapped in spite of myself, trying to soften my words by adding, "It was an accident, okay?"

Gumi sighed and nodded quietly. "Okay, fine. Whatever."

I kissed her nose and hugged her gently. "Just forget about it, okay?"

"How can I?" She mumbled, "You want me to forget about you? I love you. I can't do that."

"We're not immortals, Gumi," I said, "Accidents happen. People get hurt. It takes time for the pain to heal."

There was a knock at the door. "Is everything alright in there?"

"Yeah, mom!" Gumi yelled back, "We'll be out in a minute!"

She looked up and me and I smiled. She blushed again.

"What's the matter now?" I asked.

"Nothing," she gently swatted my arm, "It's just...everyday I realize that I love you more than I thought I did the day before."

"That's pretty deep," I remarked, tousling her hair. She shrugged.

"It's the truth."

I chuckled. "Gumi. You're staring."

She opened her mouth to say something, blushing as she did. "S-So what if I am? Can't I?"

I grinned, leaning closer to her face. "Do it," I whispered into her ear, "I like it when you do."