Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Miku.

After school, I quickly packed up my things and shut my locker. I stared dully at the locker door for a while, and some part of me was expecting Kaito to show up all of a sudden, grinning that childish grin of his, moppy blue hair falling over his face and an ice cream cone in one pale hand.

But he didn't. Of course he didn't. Why would he, right? Why should he? It's not like I really cared when he would come by my locker every day for the last five years, at the least. I had been taking him for granted all this time, I guess, and today, he hadn't even shown up.

Where could he be? I was genuinely worried and disappointed that he wasn't here, but the latter, I kept trying to deny. He was almost like my shadow all these years: always there, and somehow a part of me, and now it seemed so strange that he was suddenly gone.

"Are you alright, Miku?" A girl with long, platinum blond hair that cascaded down past her shoulders waved a hand in front of my face. I blinked and caught the worrisome look in her icy blue eyes.

"Miriam," I began, "Sorry, I guess I look really out of it, huh?"

She nodded. "Is something wrong?"

I sighed and slung my bag over my shoulder. "No," I replied, "Nothing at all. Just a little tired."

"I'll walk home with you," she smiled, showing off her perfect teeth. I couldn't help but smile back.

Miriam moved to our area about four years ago. She was extremely beautiful, with smooth pale skin, crystal blue eyes and that amazing, straight platinum blond hair of hers. She was slender and looked pretty in just about anything, and her smile was something that all the girls wished they could have. Despite all this, she was amazingly down-to-earth, humble and modest. I had heard that her father abandoned her and her mother when she was young, but I never had the courage to approach her and ask if that was true. Besides, it was her business, and touchy subjects like that are usually best if left that way.

The two of us left the school and were greeted by the slowly descending sun, which cut honey-coloured rays across the yard and onto the trees. I shielded my eyes using a free hand as my ears caught the sounds of laughter and lighthearted chatter.

"Who's that?" I muttered. Miriam gestured towards the school gates, where a boy and girl were walking leisurely. The boy had his arm thrown over the girl's shoulder, grazing her chocolate brown locks, and his teal hair shook every time I heard a laugh.

The boy turned to look at the girl, and that was when I caught a profile view of his face. His eyes were squinting because of the sun and the edges of his mouth were curled up into a smile.

"Hey, isn't that Mikuo?" Miriam gave my shoulder a nudge.

I swallowed slowly. My throat felt dry and my vision began to blur. I felt Miriam's hands on my shoulders.

"Miku?" She asked, "Is everything okay?"

I nodded. "I'm fine. Can we walk a bit faster?"

Kaito.

I groaned loudly, shuffling in bed and pulling the covers over my face. I wanted to eat ice cream so badly, but at the same time, I was feeling unbelievably lazy and tired. For once, I was glad that Ms. Luka cared about me in that weird, sort of creepy way.

I won't lie, she's a very nice woman, both inside and out, but my heart had been set on Miku ever since we were kids on the brink of adolescence. Even before that, I cared about her so much so that it could be seen as possessive, but afterwards I learned that what I was feeling was love.

Sighing, I tumbled out of bed, rolling onto the carpeted floor, slowly staggering to my feet and swaying slightly. I walked into the bathroom and looked at my face in the mirror, and then I pulled at the bandage on my head and looked at the dark red spot underneath, wincing at the sight of it.

"Yowch...," I tugged the bandage off and washed my face with cold water. Then, I disinfected my wound and put a clean bandage on it.

After grabbing a bowl of blueberry ice cream from the freezer, I headed out to the balcony and looked down at the students as they made their way home.

There wasn't much time till the end of the school year. I sighed and ate a spoon of ice cream. The wind blew gently, and it was a cool breeze that complimented the gentle warmth given off my the sun, which was slowly beginning to dip behind the clouds.

"Hey Kaito!" I heard a voice from down below. Rin and Len looked up at me and I waved. Rin pointed to her forehead while looking at me. I gave her a thumbs-up.

"It's alright!" I answered. She nodded as the two of them walked away, and then a thought hit me in the head.

I was going to the park with Miku tomorrow. Almost like a date. No, wait, it practically was a date! And even though I couldn't afford anything much, I still wanted to make her feel like a princess, because she was a princess. My princess.

So I sat down on my bed and rummaged through my drawers and my wallet, collecting all my money and spare change. Of course, going to the park didn't cost anything, but I wanted to buy her something, maybe lunch or a coffee.

One thing was certain: tomorrow had to be perfect.

The drama continues next chapter! See you soon!

Vote, comment, share, give feedback! Release your feels!