Chapter 60

Chapter 60

Rin.

"Len, can I...talk to you?" I held myself back from approaching him. He turned from leaning on his side to face me.

"I'm sorry, Rin," he said softly. Hearing his gentler tone of voice nearly sent me into raptures, "I don't know why I yelled like that."

"Hey, it's okay," I stepped forward, unable to keep such a distance between us, but he reciprocated with a step back.

"I just...something's been hanging over my head, that's all," Len said quickly.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I took a few more steps forward, cornering him.

He shook his head. "No, I'll be fine. Just...I just want to be left alone for a while."

I nodded slowly. "Okay," I whispered, "But please don't stay like this. It hurts me."

"I won't," he answered. I put a hand against his face and he nearly jumped at my touch. As I leaned forward to kiss him, he turned away.

"No," he whispered, "Please, Rin..."

I stepped back and let my arms hang down by my sides. "Okay," I said, holding back stupid and irrational tears, "I won't."

I turned and ran up the stairs, barely managing to catch my breath between sobs. Once I got back to the third floor, where my class was, I went into the washroom and saw Miku there.

"The teacher said you were taking so long that I...," Miku's voice trailed off once she saw my condition. I looked like an absolute idiot.

Miku.

I couldn't believe it. Rin was sobbing, and her hair was a mess. She looked horrible. I pressed a comforting hand against her back and led her to the sink.

"Here, I'll help you wash your face," I whispered, splashing water across Rin's cheeks and forehead. She wiped her eyes with her arm and stifled her sobs.

"I need to tell you," she said, "I need to tell you everything."

I paused. "You know," I began, unsure if I should continue, "Len really likes you."

"I know, I know, Miku!" She took my hands and I hugged her tightly, "I've liked him since the start of the school year, but he never noticed me, so I never approached him..."

"But now you can tell him, right?" I pulled away and pushed Rin's hair out of her eyes. She sniffed.

"W-When he started talking to me, I kind of...I kind of got the feeling that he liked me, Miku," she said slowly, "And he came to my house for breakfast this Saturday and accidentally complimented me, but...that compliment confirmed what I thought. He really did like me back."

I waited for her to continue. Clearly, this wasn't the end of the story. "Go on," I insisted.

"And then we...it all seemed so perfect, because it was mutual, and we both really, really liked each other. I kissed him," I watched as Rin's cheeks flushed as she said that, "And then we went for a walk and got caught in the rain on the way back to my place. We changed into some dry clothes and I showed him around my home...when we got to the ballroom, he kissed me again, and then we danced, and then...he kissed me so much that he was afraid, afraid that we were going too fast, but we weren't, because I had been waiting for him for nearly a year!"

"So that's good, right?" I smiled weakly, surprised by their suddenly blossoming romance. Rin nodded.

"But then, all of sudden, he just...sort of stopped being himself," she said monotonously, with a blank look in her eyes.

"What?"

"I was showing him some...photographs," she continued, "And then he just remembered that he had to be home half an hour ago. I said okay and was about to kiss him, but he...he pushed me away."

"Maybe he just didn't want to?" I offered lamely.

"That's what I thought. So I took him to the door and he was about to leave so suddenly that I kissed him goodbye, but something really seemed to be bothering him. He ran off, and every time I tried to call him, he said that he was busy."

I patter Rin's shoulder gently. "Don't worry," I said, "I'll figure this out."

She shrugged and tried to smile. "Maybe he'll be better tomorrow," she offered without the slightest hint of hope in her voice. My chest ached after seeing her like this. We headed back to class.

Luka.

I left the school at lunch and drove my car like a madman on the way to Gakupo's house.

"The only reason I made soup and all that for you was so that you could come and teach today!" I yelled at him once he opened the door. He was dressed in purple octopus pyjamas and his hair was tied loosely and thrown over one shoulder.

He groaned, sounding as though he was still in his sleep. I glowered at him, balling my fists.

"You were supposed to check in with me at lunchtime!" I pointed at my wristwatch, "That's now, but how are you supposed to do that if you're not even in school?"

"I'm so sorry, Luka," he said finally. I know he was in his sleep, still groggy and dreaming about Meringue, but the way he said my name shattered all my thoughts, and for a moment, I just stood there, not sure of what to say.

"Y-You better come tomorrow," I warned after a few seconds of silence, "You need to get back on track!"

He nodded slowly. I frowned and pushed past him, stepping into his house.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" I asked as he turned to look at me.

"I just woke up," he said slowly, "But it's okay, Luka, I'm just...I keep thinking about...I can't get Megurine off of my mind."

"I know," I said softly, "Wait, did you just say my name?"

He blinked and scratched the nape of his neck. "Did I? I think I said 'Meringue', not 'Luka.'"

"No, no, you said Megurine," I raised an eyebrow, "My last name and your kitty's name aren't actually that similar, you know."

He shrugged. "I'm half asleep, do you really think I'd try and pull something like that right now?"

I thought about it for a second and then shook my head. "No," I said, "Now go wash up. I'm making you something to eat."

"Luka, I told you that you don't have to!"

"Well, what if I want to?" I roared, nearly making Gakupo fall back, "Huh?"

He nodded quickly. "Okay," he said, scurrying upstairs, "Okay."

You know, the real question is, did Miku actually have to go to the bathroom?

Anyway, yeah, whatever.

Vote, comment, share, support. I'm tired right now. *yawn*

Follow me if you haven't (please) so that I can inform my readers all at once when a new chapter is out, and if there will be any changes to my updating schedule. I usually try to publish a chapter approx. every 24 hours.

See you next chapter!