Chapter 90

Chapter 90

Meiko.

"Hurry!" I pulled Mikuo into the staff room and flung open the teachers' refrigerator, pulling out a large, circular cake. It was iced with bright orange frosting and dollops of darker orange cream.

"That's amazing," Mikuo marvelled at the cake. I set it down on the counter and stared at him.

"We need the blue icing," I ordered, "It's probably in the cafeteria kitchen."

"Right!" Mikuo nodded and ran off.

I stared at the cake with a smile. Len had worked with Miku's butler or chef or whatever to make it, but it wasn't entirely done yet.

"Hey, nice cake," I yelped as Mr. Gakupo slowly extended a finger towards the icing.

"No! Stop!" I slapped his hand and he jumped back.

"That hurt!" He cried, "Meiko, what did I ever do to you?"

"This is Rin's cake," I crossed my arms as Mikuo came huffing back with a tube of frosting, "And we can't have purple-haired art teachers with weirdly-named kittens ruining it!"

Len.

At lunchtime, I went to Miku's locker. I clutched the straps of my backpack firmly and wondered if I'd find Kaito there. Gumi, Yuma and Oliver knew about me and Rin, and I had to tell them, too.

How long could I hold it back? Kaito and I were really close, and so was Miku. They weren't the type to go around spreading rumours or anything. Besides, I was going to have a talk with Haku after school, and that would probably lead to questions if I didn't explain myself now.

"Hey!" Miku waved to me and I smiled, "Kaito's not here today."

"Right," I nodded, recalling the incident from yesterday, "D-Do you want to sit with me?"

"Sure," she smiled and we walked out of the school. We sat down under a tree, the tree under which she usually sat alone, and more recently, with Kaito.

"Miku, there's something I need to talk to you about," I sat down beside her and looked around and the talking and eating students. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves, smiling and talking about whatever they wanted. That was the life we led; a carefree teenage life. Friends and fun were what really mattered. School would come and go, and it gave us all an excuse to see each other. Summers felt lonely after a school year spent with friends.

"What is it?" Miku chewed on a leek thoughtfully, "I'm listening."

"Don't judge," I said quickly. She laughed.

"Just say it already, stupid!" She grinned. I knew that she didn't mean it as an insult.

"Rin and I...we really liked each other," I began, pulling a banana out of my bag and peeling it.

"Wait, liked? What, you don't..."

"No, listen," I gestured for her to stop, "We have the same dad, Miku. We didn't know that till after we confessed and hung out and...you know."

She stared at me. I tried not to meet her eyes, and I was panicking inside. How was she going to react? I felt so sure that she'd be okay with it, but at that moment I lost all confidence.

"It took me a while to gather the courage to tell her, but it hurt, you know," I went on, "M-Miku, I really love her. I still do. She loves me, too. We can't stop thinking about each other! I don't want to be her brother, Miku! I want to be more than that! And she doesn't want to be my sister! If being half-siblings or whatever mean that we can't..."