Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Yuma.

I watched as Gumi ate her sandwich. She chewed slowly and thoughtfully, as though she was judging every bite for some contest. She paused occasionally, pushing her mellow green bangs out of her eyes.

"You're adorable," I said suddenly. She stopped chewing and looked at me, her cheeks stuffed.

She swallowed quickly. "What?"

"I said, you're adorable, Gumi."

She put the remainder of her sandwich back in her bag and crossed her arms. "Tell me something I don't know!"

I put a hand in my hair. "Something you don't know?" I paused and thought about it for a few seconds, "I guess...I wished I had told you that I liked you. You know, a year ago."

Gumi waved a finger at me. "You know, I wish that, too. But better late than never, right?"

I nodded. And then I sighed and stared up at the sky through the cracks in between the leaves of the tree that loomed over us. I took her hand and squeezed it gently.

"I wish we could just stay here...forever," I muttered, knowing how stupid it sounded, but really, I couldn't say it any other way.

I heard Gumi laugh, like the crackling of ice cubes in a glass when water is poured over them: sweet, subtle, mysteriously satisfying.

"You'll have to settle for lunch break," she said softly.

Meiko.

"Yahoo!" I yelled, dashing up the stairs as soon as the lunch bell had gone off. I ran into a classroom that had the window open and I stepped out by the edge.

"Easy now," I slowly planted my feet on the ledge and looked down, my bag on my back and my skateboard under one arm.

"Hey, look, it's Meiko!" Somebody yelled from down below. I watched as eyes turned to look at me, "She's back!"

I wasn't a fan of fame, but it didn't bug me, either. If these people found entertainment through my stunt, then good for them. Jumping from the second story was no big deal.

"You're gonna end up in the hospital one of these days," I jumped at the sound of a voice behind me, slipped and nearly fell off the ledge.

"Dammit, Mikuo, what the hell?" I growled, just barely alive. I was hanging from the window, and really, if it weren't for him holding onto my hand then and there, I probably would've fallen.

"Would you quit doing these crazy stunts?" Mikuo scowled as he pulled me up.

"I would've made it if you hadn't scared me like that!" I crossed my arms once I was back in the classroom.

He punched me in the shoulder gently. "Come on, let's go downstairs," he said, "Using the stairs this time."

I groaned loudly, rolling my eyes but following him out the room anyway. "Can I at least make a jump down the stairs?"

"No, you crazy person!" Mikuo pulled my arm and dragged me down the stairs, "We're just going to go around the streets. Nothing crazy."

That guy didn't get that I liked crazy. Oh well. He still owed me a movie, and I wasn't planning to let him weasel out of that!