Chapter 69

Chapter 69

Rin.

I ran into the house and up the stairs, nearly crashing into a tall woman with light brown hair in a tight bun. Sidestepping her, I headed into my room, slamming the door shut and leaning against it.

"Miss Rin?" The woman, Doris, asked from outside, "Is everything okay?"

I sniffed. "No, it's not okay! Nothing's okay!"

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I wiped my face with my sleeve. "No," I said, "Not right now."

"Would you like your afternoon snack?"

"No," I said, "No thanks."

I wiped away my tears and sat down, still leaning against the door.

"Why did you wait so long?" I whispered, "Why did you hold it in?"

How could it have never occurred to me that something like this had happened? Maybe because this was one of those uncommon things, those things that rarely actually happen to anyone, but why me? Why Len? I loved him so much, so dearly, and I knew that he loved me just as much, maybe even more.

Would I have kept the truth from him if I was the one who found out? I grit my teeth and shook my head slowly, fighting back tears. I probably would have. How do you put something like that into words to tell another person? I would've burst in a matter of days, and I would have told Len, but it must have been hard for him.

I got up and walked around the room a couple of times, throwing off my bag and coat and clothes until I was wearing nothing but my underclothes. I got into my bed and pulled the sheets over me.

I never asked for a perfect life, or even a very good one. I just happened to be raised by a very wealthy man who was never around, but he gave me all the material things I could ever want, even though I really didn't want them.

Tears began to roll down my cheeks as I wrapped my bare body in blankets. If someone gave me the choice, I would rather have been raised by a poorer family with a wardrobe of two outfits and next to nothing to eat.

At least that would mean that I could have Len.

Gumi.

"Wow, you can see so far!" I stood in Yuma's balcony with him, leaning against the railing and looking out at the world. The sun was beginning its descent, and strokes of red and deep tangerine had begun to paint the horizon. Jagged structures in the distance cut into the sky like a child's art project, a messy but wonderful work of colourful, cut construction paper.

"It gets really amazing at this time, and at sunrise, too," he whispered, running a hand through my hair. I grinned and spun around.

"Thanks," I said. Yuma recoiled suddenly.

"F-For what?"

I hugged him. "Everything," I said, "If what happened that day, that one day, hadn't happened...I'd probably still be watching you from afar."

"And I'd be trying to get over you," Yuma added softly, leading me back into his room. We sat down on the bed.

"Don't worry; I'll be a good influence on you!" I said.

"How so?" Yuma's tone indicated amusement.

"Well, for one, I'm keeping you fit," I poked him in the gut and he took the opportunity to tickle me right under my ribs. I laughed so hard that my stomach began to hurt.

"Okay, okay!" I squirmed, pushing him away, "S-Stop, it's way too much!"

He stopped and let me sit up straight.

"I'm working on a song," he said with a sly smile.

"Ooh, can I hear it?" I rocked back and forth excitedly. He nodded and got his iPod, a headphone splitter, and two pairs of headphones.

"Put these on," he said, plugging them in. I did as he said, and he put on the other pair.

Sitting back down beside me, he started to flick though the songs.

"So...what kind of song is it?" I asked.

"This is kind of childish," he said, glancing at me, "But it's a song I'm writing for you."

I felt a fire start to burn in my cheeks. A song? For me? Yuma? For me? I couldn't process it all.

"A-Are you serious?" I asked, putting a hand on his shoulder.

He nodded. "It's really short right now," he said, "But here we go."

I closed my eyes for a second as the sound of guitar bubbling up and took Yuma's hands in mine as it picked up speed. Opening my eyes, I looked at Yuma, who was grinning childishly, saying something that I couldn't hear, because I was hearing the words he was singing for me.

Suddenly, he leaned forward and took me by the wrists, pressing his mouth against mine and pinning me down against the mattress. I pulled him closer, shutting my eyes and kissing him wildly, letting his tongue enter my mouth, dissolving into him. He was straddled on top of me, finally pulling away, and I exhaled sharply against the music as he kissed my neck gently, fingers lost in my green locks. I bit my lip as he nipped at my collarbone. Our fingers slid into each other, interlocking as he looked up for half a second. I took the chance to kiss him again, softly, then harder and harder, until I reached into his hair and pulled, exhaustively drawing him closer until we were pressed against each other.

But that was all we did. All we did was kiss, nothing more and nothing less. The earphones fell out of our ears at some point, and I'm not sure exactly when the music stopped, but it kept playing over and over again inside of me.

I was lying beside him in the end, our fingers just grazing each other. He looked at me with a wistful smile. I grinned uncontrollably, a little out of breath.

"Feels like I just ran a marathon," I exhaled. He chuckled and pushed my bangs out of my eyes.

"Sorry, I should've asked you before," Yuma said. I shook my head.

"Ask me?" I frowned, "We didn't even do anything. And besides, I'm fine."

I pulled out my phone and looked at the time.

"Need to go?" He asked. I nodded as he took the phone and pulled me closer so that we were both lying right beside each other.

"Wait, what are you doing?" I asked as he held the phone up high and snapped a picture. He handed it back to me with a small smile.

"Memories," was all that he said. I frowned and looked at the image. Our hair was a mess and my cheeks were much redder than his. Our shoulders were pressed against each other and I had the strangest expression on my face.

"Let's do one more," I said, "And I'm going to actually smile this time."

Okay, first things first. That scene between Yuma and Gumi is probably the last of its kind, and that's as bad/descriptive as it was ever going to get. If you feel that it's too much, please, please, please tell me so that I can tone it down.
Second. The song that Yuma wrote? I'm leaving it entirely up to your imagination. That's why I kept it so vague.
I hope this chapter was an improvement over the past few chapters. Quality has been taking a dip, I think.
See you later! As in, in the next chapter!