Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Oliver.

I tapped my pencil against my sheet as Ms. Yowane took her sweet time eating her lunch.

"Any moment now...," I muttered.

"Hmm?" She looked at me.

Crap, I didn't mean to say that out loud. Ah, whatever. I decided to roll with it.

"Can you please just help me form some sort of coherent thesis, miss?" I said it respectfully, but my tone was clearly demanding.

All she did was wave a hand dismissively as she chewed a piece of chicken and swallowed. I felt my own stomach grumble. I needed to buy my lunch, and I didn't think that asking this wacko teacher for help would take as long as it had.

"Just go with the flow, Oliver," she said, snatching my paper from me.

I pouted my lips, extremely irritated with her behaviour, watching as her grey eyes scanned my notes. She picked a red pen off of her desk and scribbled something onto my sheet.

"Here," she said, handing it back to me. I gaped at her writing with wide eyes.

"But...you just wrote your thesis for me," I frowned.

She shrugged. "So?"

"So I just use this?"

"Yeah, kid, go ahead!" She rapped a fist against my head, causing my pale blond bangs to fall over my eyes, "That's kind of the point, Oliver."

I grinned. This was certainly a surprise. I didn't expect her to go ahead and write out my thesis for me. Quickly, I packed up my notes and got up.

"Thanks, Ms. Yowane!" I said.

"Call me Haku, kid!" I heard her yell as I left the classroom.

Luka.

I sat in the staff room on one of the sofas, surfing the Internet while eating my lunch. Lunch was always the slowest period of the day. I had to teach math after lunch, and that was the best part of every day, so naturally, waiting was hard.

"Is that Kaito?" As soon as I heard the voice behind me, I yelped and minimized all my windows.

"N-No! It's this...pop star that just looks like Kaito!" I grinned sheepishly at Gakupo, who had snuck up on me.

Gakupo and I were, somehow, the most popular teachers in the school. That was why students referred to us by our first names, such as Ms. Luka and Mr. Gakupo, rather than Ms. Megurine or Mr. Kamui. Though honestly, I always thought that Ms. Megurine had a nicer ring to it.

"Can I sit here?" Gakupo smiled, pushing his weird purple hair out of his eyes.

I scowled. "Can't say no," I muttered.

"All right!" He yelled and plopped down beside me. He stared intently at my computer screen as he tied his hair into a ponytail.

"What do you want, Gakupo?" I frowned, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing but your brilliant smile, Luka," he whispered.

I shivered. "You're weird."

"Only as weird as you'd like, my dear Luka!"

Scowling, I turned back to my computer and reopened my windows. I continued scrolling down the pages.

"See, it's Kaito!" Gakupo exclaimed. I grit my teeth.

"So what?" I snapped.

"You like Kaito," he smiled.

I shook my head furiously. "It's just...he was acting strange in class yesterday, and I was wondering if he was okay. You know how kids are these days, pouring all of their thoughts and feelings out onto the Internet."

Gakupo.

Luka really liked Kaito, but I knew better than that. She was just alone and infatuated with him. I won't try to deny it, Kaito's a nice-looking kid, but really, he's just out of her reach. Luka was the teacher, and Kaito was the student. There was a huge age difference there, and even if something started to happen, rumours wouldn't take long to spread.

So I considered it a good deed on my part when I asked Luka Megurine if she wanted to have dinner with me that night.

Okay. Maybe that's not exactly what I asked her.

"I know a lot about Kaito," I offered, "Remember, I told you that he's in the music club with me, and we talk a lot."

I could almost see the cogs in her brain clicking. "Did he seem alright to you yesterday?"

I frowned. "Actually, he didn't even come to the club yesterday. It was pretty weird, because he was always punctual when it came to the club's meetings."

Luka clapped her hands together. "That's it! Something is truly bugging the poor boy!"

"We can talk about it," I tried again, "Maybe we can figure out the problem, I mean, I care about the kid, too. He's a good kid."

Luka put a hand to her forehead. "But lunch is almost over..."

"We...can have dinner tonight," I said that without realizing how odd it sounded coming out of my mouth, and then I opted for damage control, "It would be a...peaceful environment to discuss him in, don't you think? I'm free tonight."

Luka stared at me for a long time, for such a long time that it began to make me feel uncomfortable to some degree. I wanted to stare at her, too, but I couldn't really pull it off at that moment without looking like a pervert.

"Okay," she finally said.

Oh my God, yes, the beautiful Luka and I will have dinner tonight! I could barely keep these thoughts from become words that would leave my mouth, but I managed.

"Here's my number," she handed a slip of paper to me, "Call me once school's done, okay, Gakupo?"

"Okay," I mumbled, thinking something completely different and unprofessional.

She said my name! It sounded so pretty coming from her mouth! I waved to her animatedly as she left the staff room. The bell rang soon after and I got up, completely shaken and euphoric from my talk with Luka Megurine.