Chapter 57

Chapter 57

Mikuo.

Meiko let me in her home and led me to her living room. The other young woman, the one whom I had assumed was Meiko's mother but was actually her sister, sat on the sofa with a bowl of popcorn in her lap, eyes on the television.

"We can sit here," Meiko sat down in the middle of the sofa, and I sat down on the end, with her sister on the opposite end.

Meiko's sister looked at me. "My name is Maiko, by the way," she frowned, "And I'm not her mom."

I put on a stupid grin, feeling awkward. "Sorry about that," I said, "I'm Mikuo, Meiko's boyfriend."

Maiko blushed and turned away. "I could tell," she muttered, crossing her arms.

"What?"

"She was going through my pictures without my permission," Meiko said, glaring at her sister, "And she thought you looked cute."

I put a hand in my hair and turned away. "Okay...," I said. Meiko wrapped her arms around me and kissed me.

"I told her to back off," she grinned after pulling away, "You're already taken."

"No, you're taken," I nudged her gently, "I confessed to you, remember?"

"Can you two take the gross stuff somewhere else, please?" Maiko said loudly. Meiko stuck her tongue out at her.

"Gross stuff?" She answered, "We haven't even done anything yet!"

"And I don't plan to," I added, "Not with someone else around, at least..."

Maiko groaned loudly and turned up the television's volume. Meiko chuckled.

"Let's just watch the movie," she smiled. I nodded. Just being around Meiko was enough. I just didn't want her doing anything too crazy, like jumping from a second story window.

Luka.

"Sit," I instructed, pointing at the dining table. Gakupo nodded and sat down.

"Really Luka, you don't have to do this," he said. I shook my head.

"No," I said firmly as I headed into the kitchen, "I do. I've always loved cats, and Meringue was the most adorable kitten that I had ever seen. I used to have a cat, too, so I know...I know how it feels to lose a pet."

I cut up some vegetables and put a pot on the stove. Gakupo got up and walked into the kitchen, leaning against the doorway with a hand over his mouth.

"At least let me help you," he said before yawning. I spun around, my palms pressed against the counter.

"If you want to help me, Gakupo," I said slowly, articulating each word carefully, "Then please go and take a nap on the sofa in the living room."

"B-But..."

"Do it!" I yelled, making him jump. He nodded quickly and walked away.

I sighed. The death of his kitten had made me recall memories of my cat. As I made soup, I think I accidentally let a few teardrops fall into the pot.

Oliver.

I slammed my math textbook shut and read over my English essay one last time. It wasn't even four yet, and I was already done all my homework. That's what happens when you don't waste your time.

"Now then...," I flipped through a binder full of sheet music. They were songs from the music club, songs that we could potentially perform at the Song of Summer concert. I really wasn't sure which ones we were going to go with for this year's concert, but there were a few that we would feature for sure.

Miku usually started the concert with 'World is Mine' and then we would lead on to something that was still upbeat. After a couple of those, we'd slow down and probably end with 'Melt.' I decided to call Rin and see what she was thinking about performing with Len.

Rin.

Something wasn't right. I headed up to my room and called Len.

"Len," I said as soon as he picked up, feeling a little embarrassed, because I sounded so desperate, "I need to talk to you."

"Rin, I...kind of need to go right now," Len's voice was raspy.

"Wait!" I yelled into the phone, but he had hung up. I fell back on my bed and sighed, my cell phone on my stomach.

Was Len's mother angry with him for being late or something? Had she grounded him? Or was it something else? I groaned loudly, shutting my eyes. I remembered the two of us dancing like maniacs, and Len's kisses. My heart thumped against my rib cage. I recalled his compliment, the compliment that confirmed my hopes that he liked me back.

Why did Len pull back during our final kiss? Did he think that we were going too far? No, that couldn't be it. I thought back to the feeling of Len's mouth against my neck, how my muscles had locked up around him, pressing myself against him, feeling his heart beat just as hard as mine as our chests made contact.

The buzzing of my cell phone pulled me out of my fantasy. I sat up straight, grinning hopelessly at the notion that perhaps Len had called back. My smile's intensity turned down a notch when I saw that it was Oliver.

"Hey, Rin!" He sounded so happy. I could practically see him grinning, his hair all combed properly, one blue eye sparkling, "How's your Saturday?"

My heart beat accelerated when I thought about what had happened so far. "It's been great, I guess," I said, my happy tone dying towards the end of my sentence, "What about you?"

"I finished my homework," Oliver proclaimed proudly, "And I was looking through the list of potential songs for our concert. Have you and Len been discussing it?"

I grimaced. "Actually...I think something's wrong with Len," I whispered, wanting to take back those words the moment they left my mouth. Oliver didn't need to know that, did he?

"What do you mean?" He sounded both curious and worried.

"I don't know, he was just acting really weird," I said quickly, "But it's probably just temporary or something. Don't call him or anything, okay? I'll talk to him about it."

Oliver was quiet for a few seconds. I swallowed slowly before he replied. "Okay," he said, "But do you have any ideas for songs?"

I drummed my fingers against my knee. "I definitely want to perform Butterfly on Your Right Shoulder," I said.

"Okay," Oliver said, "There's still time. I was just wondering, that's all."

"I know," I said, "You're always ahead of everyone, Oliver."

He laughed sheepishly. "Thanks, Rin."

I hung up the phone; thoughts about Len hung over my head.