Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I like first person! I'm sticking to it. Unless anyone objects? (¬_¬)

Rin.

I was surprised to see Len there. I didn't think anyone was around in this portion of the park at this hour. I was surprised, but initially, I was scared. I mean, it's eleven at night and somebody suddenly almost attacks you in a corner? Freaky!

"AHH!" I screamed, falling back in the dewy grass, "Ugh..."

Len's eyes grew wide as I looked up at him. "Oh my God, Rin?" He gasped, "I'm so sorry, really, I didn't mean to scare you!"

I tried to smile. At least it wasn't someone scary! "It's fine, Len! I just got a bit...freaked out."

Len offered me his hand. He was awfully hesitant about it, though. "I just...heard someone singing behind me and I got scared, too..."

I took his hand and got up. "Oh, so that was you, asking who was there," I frowned, dusting off my clothes, "Sorry if I scared you...sometimes I come out here and sing at night. It helps me sleep."

"Your parents don't mind?" Len asked. I shouldn't have felt bad, and he didn't know. I wanted to explain, but it was hard for me to form the sentences. Not many classmates ask about your family life; they stick to knowing just you, as a student.

"I...I don't have a mom," I muttered, looking down at my shoes.

"Oh...," Len frowned, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"No, no, it's fine," I tried to smile, "Honestly, it's feels a lot better when I talk about it with someone."

"Oh! Well, you can trust me, then," Len's voice seemed a little shaky, "D-Do you want to sit down and talk about it?"

I was quiet for a few seconds. "Okay, I guess," we walked over to the bench and sat down. I folded one leg up onto bench and let the other fall to the grass, so that I could face Len. He looked back at me, eyes shifting from my face to the bench, then the ground, then back.

His face seemed to glow, almost, thanks to the streetlamps that were close by. His blond hair wasn't tied back into a small ponytail like it was earlier that day, and his flaxen locks fell down past his ears and cut across his sparkling cobalt eyes.

I shook my head. "Er...what?"

Len flinched, "Wait, what?"

"You're not saying anything," I frowned.

"I-I'm waiting for you to say something!" Len stuttered. I laughed. There was nothing funny about our confusion, but I laughed anyway.

"Sorry, I guess we sat down here to talk about it, didn't we?" I giggled, a hand over my face. My other hand was plastered over the wood of the bench in front of me.

"No, no, take your time," Len put a hand in his hair, "I don't mean to rush you, I guess I was just...zoning out, sort of."

"Okay, okay, Mr. Len," I looked down at my hands and at my nails, painted the colour of lemons, bright yellow, "My mother left when I was young, and my father's almost always away. He's always sending me things, but I don't think he really likes me..."

"Why's that?" Len whispered.

I looked up at Len. "That's all he does, you know. Send me gifts and things. He hasn't been home on my birthday for five years in a row, now!"

"Oh, that sounds horrible!" Len said, and then looked down at the bench, "You know...I don't have a dad, and my mom's always at work. She comes home really late, and some nights, she doesn't even come home at all!"

"My mom...left my dad when I was little," I felt the words slip out of my mouth. I hadn't meant to say that bit; I wasn't ready to let anyone know that. What kind of a mom runs away? This tidbit was so juicy, I just knew that Len wouldn't be able to keep it to himself. Soon, the entire school would know, and then there'd be stories, all sorts of stories. I covered my mouth with my hand and wished that I could take my words back.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Rin...," Len whispered. How could I have said something so personal to him? In fact, why did I even tell him about my father? I scolded myself for feeling so comfortable around Len; I barely even knew him!

"I didn't...didn't mean to tell you that," my voice began cracking. No, no, no, you wimp! I thought to myself, what, are you going to cry in front of this boy now?

"No, no, Rin, don't cry!" Len reached for my shoulder and then patted it, "Please? I'll pretend I didn't hear it!"

"No, what's done is done, I can't take it back...," I felt tears roll down my cheeks. My vision became blurry, and then I felt soft, smooth flesh against my face and slender fingers pressing against my back. I tilted my face upwards slightly, my lips just grazing Len's neck.

"It'll be our secret," Len whispered. I barely heard him over the sound of my thumping heart, "So please don't cry."