Chapter 105

Chapter 105

(Earlier than usual author's note: I'm switching to third person omniscient! Also, this is a huge chapter!)
---

Gumi held Yuma's hand tightly as they walked down the dark streets, the gentle yellow of the street lights illuminating their way. She looked up at him every now and then, watching his face for the slightest traces of a wince or grimace, wondering if she should let go of her beloved's hand. She didn't want him to be hurt.

Just looking at those bright red bandages tied around his knuckles earlier had sent shivers down her spine. The last time she remembered seeing him hurt was a few years ago, when they weren't really very close. She recalled that he had a sprained ankle, and while she always wanted to approach him and maybe talk to him about it, she was just too shy to do so.

"Something on your mind, Gumi?" Yuma looked down at her, his figure outlined by the gentle glow of the lights. He smiled a little, making her blush.

"Does it hurt?" She asked softly. He squeezed her hand and stopped walking, turning to face her.

"Lots of things hurt, Gumi," he said softly, pulling her towards a corner, "There's nothing we can do about it. How many letters does the word 'life' have?"

Gumi furrowed her brow, the answer spilling from her lips. "Four," she answered quickly. He nodded.

"What about the word 'pain', and the word 'hurt'?" He asked, his tone slightly morose.

"That's stupid," his girlfriend scowled, "The word 'love' also has four letters!"

"Ha! I never said that life was all hurt and pain, now did I?" Yuma bonked her on the forehead. He seemed to love doing that, "Right. Love, hurt, pain. Life. Four letters. Four words."

"There must be more," Gumi mumbled. Yuma smirked.

"But those are enough for now, Gumi," he said softly, gently pecking her forehead. She flinched. He kissed her forehead so often, more times than anything else he did to express his affection, and it was such a small thing, but it always made Gumi lose her mind.

"Yuma, I'm crazy!" She declared suddenly, her voice echoing down the empty streets.

"Oh, are you?" He twirled a lock of her bright green hair between his fingers, smiling slyly.

She yanked him forward so that he crashed into her before she wrapped her arms around his figure gently and buried her face into his torso.

"I'm crazy for you," she whispered, careful not to hug him too tight, "I'm not hurting you, am I?"

Yuma shook his head and gently pried her away. "So am I," he smiled, "Except it's you that I'm crazy about."

He kissed her on the mouth, pulling her face close with his hurt hands, wincing only slightly against the green haired girl's small, soft lips. He gripped her shoulders tightly and they opened their mouths, the small kiss becoming something much more passionate.

The shadows of the alleyway hid them from the world as Gumi continued to kiss him and he reciprocated, a response to some sort of burning flame that had been ignited over the course of the day.

"Is this a goodnight kiss?" Gumi asked once they had pulled away, out of breath, "Or something else?"

"Just finishing what we started," Yuma whispered, taking her hand and leading her down the street, "Memories, Gumi."

"That doesn't have four letters, you know. And besides, can't we just live for the moment?"

"That's what we just did," Yuma answered. It still felt strange, though undoubtedly wonderful, to kiss her like that, mostly because they rarely did it.