Chapter 6

Chapter 6
Okay, I'm switching to First Person because its better suited for this story, and I was stupid to not use first person before. I MIGHT go back and rewrite the first five chapters in first person, but for now, I don't know. Anyway, here we go:

Len.

As long as I can remember, my mom's been super busy. She's never around when I come home, and is usually out till late. So I guess I shouldn't have been expecting her to be there when I came home after school that day.

"I'm home!" I called. Of course, I wasn't expecting a reply, and I didn't get one. Tossing my bag to the ground, I headed into the kitchen and grabbed a banana. I headed upstairs and went to my room, flopping down on my bed and sighing.

I peeled the banana, thinking about Rin's beautiful blond hair with that adorable bow tied into it. I couldn't wait for next week. I couldn't even wait for tomorrow, when everybody would partner up and discuss what needs to be done. As I ate the banana, I felt my heart thump against my ribs, almost electronically. I tossed the peel into the trash and fell asleep just like that.

Yuma.

I could still feel Gumi's shoulders in my hands, long after she had left. After our sudden embrace, she ran off wordlessly, shoes clacking, green haired head bobbing up and down. That wasn't when I realized that I didn't love Rin the way I thought I did. It was after that.

"Gumi!" I yelled, running after her. Kaito, who was still hanging around for some reason (he probably wanted more ice cream; we'll get to that in a minute), grabbed my arms and held me back.

"You'll frighten her away, Yuma!" He scolded me. I stared at Kaito from under my mop of pale pink hair. There was a sternness in his eyes that I had never seen in him before. I bit my tongue back and decided not to argue.

"You have to take it slowly," Kaito continued, "If you're lucky, she won't avoid you in school tomorrow."

I looked down at the ground silently. "Yeah," I whispered, "Thanks, Kaito."

I got on my bike when I noticed that Kaito stood behind me, a wide grin on his face.

"What?"

"I think all that deserves an ice cream. As in, I deserve an ice cream," Kaito smiled. I groaned. We headed back to the ice cream shop and I bought him another sundae, even though it was Wednesday (bad joke, but I always make that joke around Kaito). In fact, that's the second time in one day that I made that joke.

After that, I rode my bike home. That's what leads up to me, thinking that Gumi's still here. I was lying on my bed, my black hat pulled over my ears. Sitting up straight, I walked over to one corner of my room, picked up my guitar, and began strumming a tune, making it up as I went along. I thought about how I might sit down and write it out someday. Maybe it could become a song, and then I could play it for Gumi.

She was afraid, that's for sure. She was unsure about what to do. She enjoyed being with me, but suddenly, her mind had switched gears and she had run away. I figured it was best to give her time to think about it.

Even I needed time to think about it. We were both acting a bit too impulsively back there. I kept strumming, calling to night and putting the sun to sleep.

Kaito.

That was an unexpected turn of events back there! Gumi and Yuma just might get together, and then Len will be free to work his way into Rin's heart. It's all so exciting! And romantic, of course. And it's all thanks to the glorious edible soft goodness known as ice cream! I still feel that Yuma ought to buy me another sundae tomorrow. It'll also give him a chance to use his lame sundae joke again.

As I walked down the road and towards my home, I watched the sun sink down below the skyline. Skyscrapers pierced the sun's glowing ball of orange as the colours of peaches, violets and eventually, shades of Miku's teal pigtails flooded and spilled across the boundless sky. I tugged on my scarf to make sure that the breeze hadn't taken it away.

Len.

I woke up in the middle of the night suddenly, voices still in my head from the strange, nonsensical dreams I had just had. I pulled myself out of bed and walked out of my room. I didn't know where I was headed, but I kept walking.

Once I was a bit more awake, a bit more aware of my surroundings, I figured I should go and check to see if my mom had come home yet. The wall clock in the living room clicked to the beat of my feet thudding against the wood floor. As I approached my mom's bedroom, I didn't catch the sound of her snoring.

She's not even home, I thought, prying the door open. Her bed was empty, the sheets still a mess from this morning, when she had hurried out to catch the bus.

I looked out the window, at the clear, black sky, silhouettes of skyscrapers reaching for the heavens. I thought about going out for a walk. It was a nice night.

I pulled a coat on and stepped out, making sure to lock the door behind me. Streetlights, all lined up down the street, illuminated the empty road. I began walking, heading down one turn of the street and eventually approaching the park. There were people here and there, enjoying the spring night, sitting on picnic blankets and looking up at the stars. I sat down on a bench and sighed, resting my elbows on the back of the bench and looking up at the stars.

Suddenly, there was sound coming from somewhere behind me. I turned slowly. There was a tree behind my bench, and I figured that someone was beings that tree. It wasn't a rustling sound, but rather, the sound of someone's voice. I kept quiet.

"Last night...good night...," it sang. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, like soldiers getting ready for battle.

"W-Who's there?" I shouted. The voice disappeared. I hadn't meant to frighten whoever it was.

Quickly, I got up from my bench. I hurried around to the back of the tree.

Telling the story using first person with constantly switching viewpoints employs an interesting style of storytelling. It sounds very different from the previous chapters, for one, and I can monologue a lot while switching the 'camera' to make sure the readers get all the required action. Anyway, enough writing technique blabber, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Who's behind the tree? Miku (after all, the song IS a Miku song originally, but... ('・Д・)」)? Maybe Rin? GASP WHAT IF IT'S KAITO!?!