Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Kaito.

I spent all night watching videos on the Internet. Mostly music videos, and mostly Miku music videos. And then I watched some cooking videos. I'm going to have a taco for breakfast! Sure, I know many people probably don't eat tacos for breakfast, but the cooking video that showed how to make tacos made me really want to wake up to a plate of tacos. Look at me, I'm saying it so many times. Taco, taco, taco.

Ice cream still holds that special place in my heart, though! Around three in the night, I figured I should go and show ice cream that I still loved it the most. I had an entire freezer dedicated to ice cream, you know, so I pulled out a tub of vanilla and grabbed a spoon.

And then I went back to the computer and watched more of Miku's music videos, this time with a tub of ice cream in my lap. The screen won't be turned off until the sun turns on, I decided.

Gumi.

As the sun rolled out and morning hit its stride, I grabbed my notebooks and things and stuffed them into my bag. A photograph of Yuma slipped out from one of my notebooks.

"Eek!" I let out. I had taken that picture months ago, from far away, when he was talking to his friends. I felt kind of guilty for doing something like that, but nobody needed to know about the photo, and I really did like him. Besides, he seemed to like me, too. My heart began thumping at the thought.

Yuma lifted the photograph between his thumb and index finger. He glanced at it, then at Gumi. "Not bad," he smiled a smile that melted her, "But you didn't get my good side. How about we try again?"

Stop it, Gumi! I shook myself out of that stupid, mushy daydream. Throwing my bag over one shoulder and then the other, I dashed out the door and sprinted towards the school.

If there was one thing that calmed me down and made me feel better after a tough situation, it was running. When I was younger, I used to be part of the cross country team, but now, in high school, it was harder to balance sports with studies. That didn't change the fact that I ran to school every morning, though. I was a pretty good runner, fast, too, and I was proud of that.

Miku.

Sometimes I just get crazy and ride my bike to school at an insane speed. It requires a lot of fast pedalling, and when I'm listening to something upbeat like Ponponpon, I can totally pull it off.

My bike was customized by Mr. Gakupo, a teacher from our school. He used to be a designer, and he's done a lot of things, like painting murals and making graffiti art. He's also designed shirts that you can still buy, and he has the coolest purple hair ever. I asked him to design mine with leeks, and the final product looked amazing. The handlebars look like leeks. In fact, the entire thing looks like a bunch of leeks glued together! But they're not, of course. That's just part of what makes it so cool.

The customization had a price, of course. Mr. Gakupo wanted a copy of my next album, which was planned for release in a month. He got a copy in advance and proceeded to rub it in the other teachers' faces.

As I pedalled like crazy, I spotted a blue scarf waving in the distance. That was obviously Kaito; he's the only one who wears a huge scarf to school, even as summer begins.

"Hey!" I yelled, biking up to him. He screamed and somehow tripped over himself, falling on his behind.

"Ow!" He whimpered. I braked.

"Gee, sorry, Kaito," I frowned.

He grinned. "No need for apologies, princess!"

I scowled. "You've been binging on World is Mine again, haven't you?"

Kaito got up slowly, "Er...maybe?"

"Yes, you have!" I smacked him in the face with a leek, "Look at you, you haven't slept all night! What were you doing, you idiot?"

Kaito rubbed his cheek. It was red from the smacking I had just delivered. He shrugged slowly. "Eating...ice cream?" He offered.

I stuck out my tongue at him, eyebrows creased. "You're gonna get fat, Kaito," I scolded.

"I would've gotten fat already if that were the case, I just don't think my body works that way - ow!"

"Stop backtalking!" I hissed after smacking him again, this time on the hand that was rubbing the previously smacked cheek, "So what if you don't get fat? Your arteries will clog up or something and you'll die anyway!"

Kaito.

Miku's comment made me freeze for a second. Or maybe all that ice cream was somehow having an effect on my body and freezing it momentarily, I don't know. She cared about me?

"Say something, doofus!" She yelled.

"Sorry, Miku," I managed to say, "I shouldn't have said that. You were worried about my health, and I disrespected that. I humbly apologize."

Miku's anger seemed to click down a notch. She looked down at her shoes. "Yeah, you better be sorry," she said, "You ruined my perfect mood."

"Sorry."

After a pause, she began pedalling towards school slowly. I walked along.

"Maybe you should be more like Gumi," she said.

My mind flashed back to yesterday's incident involving Gumi and Yuma. "How so?" I asked.

"She runs a lot," Miku explained, "Maybe if you started doing that, you'd stay fit and still be able to eat ice cream without expecting a heart attack or something when you're forty."

I winced at the blatancy of her words. "Yeah, you're right," I said, "I'll start tomorrow, maybe."

"Seriously, though, you should stop eating so much ice cream," Miku muttered as we entered the school. Students and teachers looked at us as we walked down the halls. Well, they mostly looked at Miku, because she's so awesome and somehow still modest, but they looked at me, too.

"Are you even listening?" Miku elbowed me in the chest.

"Ugh!" I wrapped my arms around my stomach and thought about the taco I had for breakfast. And the one I had packed for lunch, "Yeah, I know...I watched some cooking videos late into the night and I made myself a taco for breakfast. It was amazing, almost as great as ice cream!"

Miku scoffed. "Kaito, you're such an idiot sometimes."

Hey, at least she didn't say 'all the time', I thought.

Yeah, I know, I suck and so does this chapter. I just wanted to flesh out Miku and Kaito's characters and I wanted to show their relationship to you guys. So yeah. Don't worry; Rin and Len will return in the next chapter!
...Also, I wanted to bring up Gakupo. He'll be back soon. *wink wink* ☆〜(ゝ。∂)