Chapter 104

Chapter 104

Yuma.

Meiko did a pretty good job with her Food Eater song, and Kaito and Miku went up next to do Cantarella. We cheered for both, and then came my turn.

"Come on, Yuma," Miku grinned as she sat back down. I nodded and glanced at Gumi.

"You don't like this song, do you, Gumi?" I asked. She looked at me with wide eyes.

"N-No, it's just...it's just a song," Gumi smiled, "Go on, I've waited long enough!"

I laughed and nodded, getting up from my seat and walking to the front. I cleared my throat and strummed my guitar, letting a few loose notes flutter out before starting.

I kept my eyes on Gumi the entire time, making her blush a dark red. She kept trying to look away, but she could never pull away from my gaze for long. As I sang, I kept thinking back to her in the gym, and me, with my sprained ankle, a curtain separating us as she sang a small portion of a beautiful song.

Everyone clapped when I finished, but I didn't budge. "Gumi," I said, "Will you sing with me?"

A hand fluttered over her mouth and she looked at me with shocked green eyes. "Y-Yuma, I can't..."

"Just once?" I asked again, internally yelling at myself for pushing her to do it, "Actually...it's fine."

I briskly walked back to my seat and sat down, my face hot and flushed. I felt her eyes on me and her hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, "Shouldn't have asked."

Rin.

Len went up next, a sparkle in his eye as he got ready to sing. Mikuo nodded and got the music started. It wasn't something that I'd heard before, but it was beautiful.

("saisho kara kimi o suki de irarete yokatta" nante sora ni utau n da/"I'm glad I liked you from the very beginning." I sing into the sky,

(tsumekonda yume o uchiageru basho/I left this town to go on a journey in search for a place

(sagashimotomete kono machi kara deta/where I would be able to launch my packed dreams into the sky.

(furueru chakushin dengen o kitta/I turned off my cellphone when it was vibrating to an incoming call.

(moedasu doukasen dare mo tomerarenai/No one will be able to stop this fuse that I'm about to light.

(Like a Fire Flower,

(boku ga kiechawanai you ni hinoko chirase yume uchiagare/so that I wouldn't disappear, I let sparks fly and let dreams launch.

("saisho kara kimi o suki ni naranakya yokatta" nante uso made tsuite/"I wish I hadn't liked you from the very beginning." I uttered such a lie.)

I had never heard this song before, and it didn't sound like something that Miku or Kaito or the others would write.

"Len...," I mouthed his name as he continued till the end. Everyone clapped at the end and he smiled with a nod, heading back to his seat. I got up and threw myself against him, wrapping my arms around him and startling him.

"Len, you wrote a song!" I laughed, looking at him. He was grinning and nodding, taking my hand and gesturing towards the other end of the ballroom. Oliver was walking up to us, a large tray in his hands. Kaito was walking alongside, holding a stack of plates and silverware.

"It's the cake," Len whispered, "We made it for you."

Oliver put it down on one of the tables and Kaito did the same with the plates. I looked down at the orange cake and then at everyone else.