Chapter 82

Chapter 82

Len.

It was nearly seven in the afternoon, and the sun was beginning to glow orange against the pins and needles of skyscrapers that formed the skyline. The wind was cool and hard against my figure. It would push me out onto the road if I wasn't careful.

"Len, thanks for coming all the way here, but I have to go now," Rin whispered into the wind, throwing her backpack over her shoulder. We were at the airport, just outside the doors. People passed by, saying goodbyes and then disappearing behind those doors.

Some were leaving for a few days. Others, perhaps, for years. Rin was only leaving for a few days, but how was I supposed to cope? How was she supposed to cope?

"Are you done staring?" Her voice was tinged with the sweetness of honey. She smiled, squinting in the sun and pushing my bangs behind one ear. Once she was done, I dazedly lifted my hand and pressed it against my ear, where her fingers has made contact with my skin.

"Yeah," I said slowly, "Sorry."

"I'll miss you, Len," she shifted her weight from one leg to the other. Her baby blue dress blew in the wind, rustling slightly.

"I'll miss you more," I replied, pressing my thumb against her chin and pulled her closer, pressing my mouth against her lips and cradling her head in my hands. I watched as her eyes fluttered to a close and our figures pressed against each other.

"So you don't forget me," my mouth hovered over her ear as I whispered. She dug her fingers into my shoulders.

"I'd never forget you, Len," she replied, "Even if I was going away for a decade..."

Rin.

I left the world that I used to live in behind for nearly a week to attend my father's funeral.

"Maybe it's for the best, never finding out the truth," Len had said, "And besides, it's not like it'll make a difference. There is no wall between you and I, Rin. We've decided on that."

Just before I left, I got a little too sentimental. I was being irrational, asking him to come with me. I needed him with me, as stupid as it seemed. He couldn't come, obviously. Even with his mother away so often, he just couldn't risk it.

There weren't many relatives at the funeral, and the few that were there, I barely knew. That led to many awkward conversations Fortunately, Doris was with me, and she clearly had done her research on my relatives.

"I'm not sad," I told her on the flight back. We were sitting side by side. She squeezed my hand.

"I know, Rin," she said softly, "I don't blame you."

I had Len, and he was still waiting for me. I had Doris, who was a better parent than either my mother or my father.

The four days weren't spent without practicing for the concert. I sang every day, and multiple times over the course of one day. I sang in the shower, every morning in the hotel, and I sang to myself before going to sleep.

I sang to Len over the phone. I called him everyday, as promised.

"You sound just as beautiful as you do in person," he had said during one of our calls, after I had finished singing.

"You're as flattering as ever," I had replied.

"I miss you," he said every time.

"You mean my kisses?"

"No," he'd say, "All of you. I miss you as a person, Rin."

I'd always be at a loss for words at that point.

"Did you tie your hair today?" Sometimes I'd ask, other times he'd beat me to it and send a picture of himself. That would answer my question.

"You have to tell me though," he asked two days before my flight, "Do you like it better when I tie my hair or not?"

"Hmm, I still don't know," I mused, "I think I like it more when it's untied."

"Because you can twirl your fingers in it, right?"

"Don't say it like that, it makes me sound silly and weird!"

"I don't think it's silly or weird, Rin. It's part of what makes you so wonderful. Besides, I get goosebumps when you do it."

"T-That means you like it, right?"

"Right."

Miku called me a day before my flight back: Tuesday.

"When are you coming back?" She had asked.

"My flight's tomorrow," I replied, "And I've been practicing for the concert every day."

"Don't be too hard on yourself," she said before hanging up.

I wasn't being too hard on myself; the funeral had helped me realize that I didn't have any true affection for Ren. Even as I searched deep inside myself, I came back empty-handed. It was disconcerting, to say the least, but it was also the truth.

Yuma.

"Look!" Gumi stuck a sheet of paper in my face. We were doodling in my room,sitting on the floor, during the Tuesday afternoon after Rin had left.

I pulled the sheet back and took a good, long look at it. "Nice dog," I smiled. She groaned.

"It's a sheep, Yuma!" She flailed her arms wildly, "You know, like 'baaaaaaaa'!"

"I know what a sheep is, but this isn't one!" I grinned.

"Do you know what the tickle monster is?" She pouted her lips and I shook my head. Suddenly, she jumped onto me and pinned me down, straddling my waist.

"S-Stop!" I laughed uncontrollably as she started to tickle me, a determined and serious frown plastered across her face.

"A sheep goes 'baa', but you already knew that!" She squealed as I grabbed her and pinned her down, threatening to tickle her halfway to death, "And this is what the tickle monster does!"

Suddenly, the door clicked open and my mom walked in. I stared at her, still straddling Gumi, and her hands slipped off of my shoulders, the corners of her mouth going from a cheeky smile to an 'oh crap' frown.

'Oh, crap' is right. I forgot to lock the door...

"Er, I...," I quickly got off of Gumi and leaned against the wall, shuffling uneasily in spite of myself. She sat up straight and grinned nervously, waving to my mother.

"H-Hello, Yuma's mum!" She stammered. I hid my eyes under my hair as my cheeks started to heat up. I heard the sound of my mom's sigh.

"Yuma, I came up to tell you that you have a visitor," she said, not doing a very good job of masking the tension in her voice, "I'll...let him up, if that's alright with you."

Gumi and I both nodded frantically. "Yeah, it's...it's fine."

A few minutes after my mother had left, Len walked in and stared at us. I was cleaning up the pencils and paper, and Gumi was humming in a corner innocently, the blush on her cheeks so intense that it could probably be seen from a mile away.

"Yuma, Gumi, hey," Len smiled a little. I nodded and motioned towards a chair, signalling for him to take a seat.

"What's up?" I asked, tossing the paper in the recycling.

Yes, I had a recycling bin in my room.

Len took a deep breath. "I want to write a song," he said, "And I know what it's going to be about."

Accepting guesses for the (two) song(s) that Len will write with the help of the club! Go ahead and take a guess! I won't say whether you're right or not; you'll find out in the following chapters.
Thanks for reading; I'm very grateful to you all! And I promise (sorta) that I won't try and trick you again like in the last chapter!