Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Yuma.

The only reason I was late for the music club's meeting was that I was running around looking for Gumi. I had spotted her through the crowds as everyone was leaving school, but then she had just disappeared.

"Catch me if you can! :3" she had left a note on my locker when I went to it. And then I had spent nearly half an hour running around the school, trying to find her.

"Yikes!" She yelped as I burst into the gymnasium. She was shooting baskets, but when she saw me, she dropped the ball and sprinted across the gym, sneakers squealing against the floor.

"Hey!" I yelled, running after her. I could've sworn I heard her laughing as she leapt outside. I ran out the door as well, sunlight spilling across us as we dashed past the front of the school and towards the back.

"This isn't funny!" I called, huffing after her.

"I could do this all day!" I heard her laugh. Groaning, I watched as she vaulted over a fence and climbed up a ledge, ninja-style.

"Come on, Gumi!" I called from down below, cupping my hands over my mouth, "Come down!"

"Why don't you come up?" She laughed. If I didn't know better, I'd think that she was high.

I sighed. "I have to go to the music club!" I shouted, "Do you want to come?"

"Nah, I'd rather run!"

Frowning, I tugged on my hat and turned away. "All right, then!"

I didn't turn as I walked across the school, towards the doors.

"Yuma!" I heard her voice in the distance. It was probably the most painful thing I had ever done, not turning to look back at her, "Yuma!"

There was silence after a few seconds, and I still didn't turn. I kept walking, reaching for the door handle when I felt hands against my shoulders.

"Y-Yuma," Gumi said between breaths, looking up at me, "Are you deaf or something?"

I made a face, pulling open the door. "Maybe," I said, walking down the hall.

"Quit it, okay? I'm coming with you!" She came in front of me, walking backwards, smacking her palms against my gut playfully.

She's strong, I thought to myself, watching her run ahead, sprinting down the emptiness of the hallway and then turning back to holler.

"Hey, what room is it, anyway?" She called, walking backwards again.

I pulled my hat off of my head and stuffed it into my pocket while running a hand through my hair. "Wait up!" I answered, running to catch up to her.

Len.

Singing, or at least, trying to, felt like a dream that day for so many reasons. I was standing next to Rin, trying to sing the lyrics to one of Miku's greatest works.

(Asa me ga samete massaki ni omoiukabu kimi no koto...)

The song passed by so fast that it didn't even feel like four minutes, but more like a couple of seconds. In that couple of seconds, I got over my anxiety of singing. I did the best I could, and in those two seconds, my voice and Rin's voice became one, at one point. It all ended so quickly, though, and before I knew it, we were doing the "la la la la la la la" at the end, so soon after the opening la's.

"Dude, I didn't know you took singing lessons!" Miku walked up to me as I pulled off my headset. My heart was thumping like crazy and my hands were shaking. She took the headset quickly and pushed two chairs over for me and Rin.

"Len, you were awesome!" Rin hung her palm out in the air for me to high-five, which I reluctantly did.

"You guys are just saying that...," I put a hand in my hair, "But I had fun, I guess, and that's what matters, right?"

Miku grabbed me by the shoulders suddenly, violently. I yelped as she began shaking me back and forth.

"No, what matters is that you are going to perform with Rin at the Song of Summer festival!" She yelled.

"Wha-What?" Was all that I managed to say.

The Song of Summer was a festival held in May to commemorate the coming of, you guessed it, summer. Every year, Miku would have a concert, and it was usually the biggest part of the festival. Suffice it to say that I'd be crazy if I was even thinking of performing there.

When Miku finally let me go, I fell back against the headrest of my chair and stared up at the ceiling, arguing with my inner self that I was in fact dreaming. I looked at Miku, who was pacing back and forth in front of me, deep in thought. Mr. Gakupo and Oliver the drummer dude stood by one side, staring at me.

"What?" I finally said after a few minutes of nothing but the sound of Miku's shoes against the floor.

"Len, that's awesome!" Rin exclaimed, prompting another high five.

I shook my head, refusing. "No, I can't, that's crazy! I..."

"I have already made up my mind and there will be no changing it!" Miku screeched, smacking me with a leek.

Oliver clapped. "Another performer!"

"You'll have fun, Len," Miku frowned, "Just one song, okay? One song with Rin."

"Why?" I yelled, and then I suddenly realized that maybe she was making me do this because she knew I liked Rin, but that wasn't her answer to my question.

"Because you two sound amazing together," Miku nodded.

I looked at Miku, and then at Rin. "Really?"

They nodded, along with Oliver and Gakupo.

"You're kidding," I muttered, "I can't sing, I don't sing, I..."

I'd love another chance to do that with Rin. I told my brain to shut up. It didn't listen.

"Okay," I said slowly, exhaling. I looked around at the nodding heads surrounding me.

The Song of Summer festival was in a month: June 12th.

Yay, long chapter! So much stuff is going on in the story! You better get pumped, because I'm pumped!