Chapter 63

Chapter 63

Gumi.

"Come on, Yuma!" I looked up at the top shelf, "Give me a boost!"

Yuma sighed loudly, walking up to me. "Are you sure we're allowed to be in the gymnasium's storage room?"

I nodded. "I'm friends with the gym teachers! Now hurry up, we need that jump rope!"

Yuma grabbed me by the wait and slowly hauled me up. I grabbed the edge of a shelf with both hands and stood on his shoulders.

"You're...not that heavy," Yuma said between groans.

"I've almost got it!" I climbed up the shelves, finally relieving Yuma of having to support me. I spotted the bright blue, tangled mess of rope in the corner of one cubby, and I snatched it up with a single hand.

"Got it?" Yuma called. I nodded.

"Got it!" I said, "Coming down!"

I climbed back down and jumped from the lowest shelf, landing on my feet. I looked up at Yuma and flashed the jump rope at him.

"That's a long jump rope," he said. I nodded.

"It's the one I told Miku about," I smiled, "Let's go!"

Rin.

"Wait a second, what're you talking about?" I was unbelievably confused. Miku just kept grinning.

"We're going to jump rope," she planted her hands on her hips. Yuma and Gumi appeared from the corner, holding a long blue rope in their hands.

"And how is that supposed to do anything?" I really didn't get what they were planning on doing.

"We are going to try and get a bunch of students to jump rope all at once!" Miku clapped her hands together, "It's fun, you know?"

"I know, I've jumped rope before, but..."

"We're going to get Len to join in," Miku said, "But you're not going to invite him. Yuma and Gumi will. They'll find him and call him over, and we'll see how he reacts. Then we'll know if he's avoiding you, or if he's just gloomy."

I frowned. It sounded like a strange plan. "If you say so," I said. Kaito came running down the hall.

"I do say so! Come on, let's get going!" Miku grinned.

"Len's heading to the roof, I think," Kaito said.

"We'll get him after we set up!" Gumi rubbed her hands together. Yuma nodded.

We headed towards the stairs, but I stopped. My throat was feeling parched. "You guys go on ahead," I said, "I'm going to get my water bottle from my locker."

"Alright," Miku nodded, "Meet us out by the front!"

I waved and ran down the hall, making a sharp turn and crashing into somebody.

"Ow!" I yelped, nearly falling back. Two hands held me upright.

"Are you okay?" I looked up at Len. There wasn't any sort of reply in my mouth.

"L-Len!" I finally managed to say, taking a step back. He wasn't smiling, but he wasn't frowning either, "How are you?"

Len.

I didn't want to hurt Rin, physically or emotionally, and I wasn't ready to tell her yet. I felt that I had to, because if I didn't, it would only get worse.

But not right now. "I'm just...going to eat," I shrugged, "Sorry about that."

Her cheeks were red as she patted down her shirt. "S-Sorry about what?"

I grimaced. "Sorry for bumping into you," I said, "And also, sorry for being the way I've been recently. I just need some time alone, that's all."

I looked at Rin. She was on the verge of tears, her lower lip quivering as she held back.

"Len, you...," she began, her voice cracking, "You don't...hate me, do you?"

Her words left me feeling as though someone had slapped me across the face. Hesitantly, I lowered a trembling hand onto her shoulder.

"Of course not!" I said firmly, "Why would you even think that?"

Wordlessly, Rin slid her bag off of her shoulders and pulled out a notebook. She flipped through it and held it open on a page in front of me with two shaky hands.

My jaw nearly dropped when I read what it said. "None of that is true!" I yelled, perhaps a bit louder than I should have. I softened my tone a bit, "You know none of that is true, Rin."

She let go of the book. It fell to her feet, splayed out with the cover looking up at us. "B-But then...why..."

I sighed, shaking my head. "It's not that, Rin, I..."

"Then tell me!" She screamed as tears streamed down her face. Her fists were balled up, glued to her sides, "Tell me!"

Tell her what, that she's my sister and that I can't really be in a romantic relationship with her? That I'm not even sure if I really love her anymore?

"Tell you what?" I tried my luck.

"Tell me that you love me, Len!" She pulled her hands over her face, "If none of that is true, then tell me that you really do love me!"

I sighed slowly and buried my hands in my pockets. I did love her, didn't I? But did I love her as a lover, the way I did up till Saturday afternoon, or did I love her as her brother? At that point, it didn't matter; they were both love, and I needed to calm her down.

"I love you, Rin," I whispered, "I love you."