Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Gumi.

I changed into my old clothes and said goodbye to Yuma.

"You sure you don't want me to drop you off?" He frowned, standing by me at his doorstep.

I nodded. "I'm sure," I said, "Besides, you're going to clean up that mess, right?"

I was referring to the mud and water that I had left behind all over his floor and stairs. It had formed a path from the door, up the stairs, and into his room.

"Yeah, I need to do that," he frowned, "My mom's going to freak out if she sees it."

"I'll help," I said. Yuma shook his head.

"She'll freak out even more if she sees you," he said quietly, "It's fine, I'll do it. Besides, you're hurt. Go home and rest, okay?"

I sighed. "Alright," I gave him a quick kiss and limped down the steps and out onto the street. The sun was peeking past the dissipating storm clouds, and people were closing their umbrellas and taking their raincoats off.

The weather was so nice that I felt like going for a run, but the pain in my ankle instructed me otherwise. I sighed. Maybe taking a break wouldn't be so bad. I wouldn't be able to run for at least a few days, I figured. Suddenly, images of Yuma carrying me around drifted into my imagination. I shook my head as my heart began to pound.

Not again, Gumi...

Meiko.

"Hey!" I yelled at my older sister, Maiko, as she left the kitchen with a bowl of popcorn in her hands, "What about me?"

Maiko frowned at me, sitting down in front of the television and popping a kernel into her mouth. "Nobody's stopping you, Meiko. Come and get it."

I crossed my arms, dropping my phone from my hands and onto the sofa cushion, "Hmph."

In one swift movement, Maiko snatched up my phone and grinned evilly at me.

"Hey, give that back!" I tried to take it from her as she scrolled through my pictures.

"Ooh, who's this handsome fella?" She raised an eyebrow and clicked on a picture of Mikuo. I slumped.

"That's...my boyfriend," I muttered. Maiko hooted with laughter, throwing her head back, shoulders shaking.

"You have a boyfriend?" She stifled her laughter, "For real?"

"H-Hey, he asked me out, you know! We went to the movies yesterday! Besides, you said so yourself that he's handsome!"

Maiko's freaky grin turned into a gentle smile. She ran a hand through her long, light brown hair. "Yeah, he's cute," she said, "Maybe I'm just jealous."

I snickered. "Too bad, he's mine!"

"W-Well, maybe you can make him my future brother-in-law? That's the next best thing, you know!"

I made a face, "That's a bit too far in the future, isn't it?"

Maiko gave me the bowl of popcorn. "The future is never far."

I grabbed a handful of popcorn. If Maiko was trying to get me thinking about marriage or something weird like that, then it wasn't working.

"Hey, I'm just kidding, okay?" Maiko said after a while.

"I know!" I yelled, "Did you really think that I'd take your comment seriously?"

Maiko just shrugged. I sighed. She was probably the only person who could rile me up like that.