Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Meiko.

I can't believe it! That Mikuo was such a charmer! He confesses and asks me out without even directly admitting that he likes me!

"I wish you'd told me before!" I crossed my arms as we headed towards the cinema, "Now it feels like we're rushing!"

"I didn't want to pressure you when you were still sick," Mikuo grinned.

"Yeah, right," I pouted, "You just didn't want me to throw up all over you."

"Maybe a bit of that," Mikuo pressed a finger to his mouth thoughtfully, looking up at the sky, "Now, what movie do you want to see?"

Mikuo.

I kept thinking about Miku, and how Kaito had told me that she had a crush on me. Something about all this felt horribly wrong, but I had to tell Meiko at some point. Besides, Kaito was devoted to Miku in an amazing and unbelievably honest and innocent way. I was sure that she'd understand that at some point. Heck, I even tried to leave school as soon as I could with Meiko so that I would run into Miku and end up hurting her.

"You're not going to eat leeks in there, are you?" Meiko narrowed her eyes at me as we got in line to buy tickets.

I looked at her innocently. "What? Of course not! I don't eat leeks all the time, you know!"

"Sure you don't!" Meiko laughed. Suddenly, she put her hands on my shoulders and stood on her tiptoes, pressing her mouth against mine. When she stepped back, I think my face was redder than hers.

"What was that for?" I whispered. My face felt hot and prickly. I shuffled my feet uneasily and stuffed my hands in my pockets.

"I just...felt like it," Meiko smiled. I glanced at her. She was blushing, but her face was nowhere near as red as mine. My first kiss in public. I was silently praying that Miku wasn't around. If nothing else, I just didn't want her to be hurt.

Miriam.

As I walked Miku home, I remembered something.

"Oh no!" I said. Miku looked at me.

"What is it?" She asked. I bit my lip. She already seemed so down, I wasn't sure how to tell her.

"I sort of promised Mew that I'd go to the movies with her after school," I said slowly.

"Oh," Miku looked at me, and then looked down the street towards her house, about fifteen feet away.

And then an idea struck me. "Why don't you come with us?" I grinned, smacking my fist against my palm, "It'll be fun!"

Miku shook her head. "No thank you," she smiled weakly, "Thanks for the offer, though. I'm going to go home and get some rest."

"Yeah, that sounds good," I patted Miku's shoulder, "Maybe you're tired because its Friday?"

Miku nodded. "Yeah. Maybe."

We stood silently for a few seconds. I felt my stomach churn, feeling distressed because of Miku. It wasn't like her to be so down. She was always happy and energetic, even when everyone else was sad.

"You should get going," Miku said, looking at me. She smiled again, "I'll be fine."

And that was how I ended up in line at the cinema with Mew. Mew was a tall, pale and elegant girl with pitch black hair that cascaded down past her shoulders and flirted with the ends of her shirt. Her usually somber black eyes sparkled when she smiled, and she was extremely pretty, but she refused to acknowledge it. That was something I teased her about all the time.

"You're so pretty, Mew," I elbowed her in the ribs, "See, you're so skinny! I'm not skinny!"

"I don't get why everyone wants to be skinny like this," Mew frowned, pushing me playfully.

"Oh, please!" I crossed my arms, "All you skinny folks just don't appreciate the fact that you already have that body, while the rest of us sweat buckets trying to burn fat!"

"Hey, look!" Mew whispered. I followed her eyes and saw Mikuo and Meiko towards the front of the line.

"Are they a couple?" Mew asked, her brow creased.

I shook my head. "Nah, Meiko's just a freeloader."

"Then why is she kissing him?"

"What?" I looked back at them and saw what Mew was talking about, "M-Meiko's probably just feeling crazy!"

"I don't think so," Mew shook her head, "Ah, whatever. It's none of our business."

I watched her whip out her phone as soon as she said this. She began pressing keys madly.

"You hypocrite," I scowled. Mew shook her head.

"I'm just telling Miku," Mew said as she typed, "She'll be so happy that Meiko finally found that special someone!"

I smiled at the mention of Miku. "Yeah," I nodded, "She seemed really out of it today. Maybe this will cheer her up."

Mew nodded excitedly, a grin on her face. "I got a picture, too," she showed me her snapshot of Meiko and Mikuo, "The sassy skateboarder finally strikes!"

See, this is what happens when you hide your crushes from your friends! Poor Miku! What'll she do?
And poor Mikuo? He didn't want to hurt her, but he is!
Do you think that Mikuo should've just confessed to Meiko like that, even after Kaito told him that Miku liked him (Mikuo)?
Vote, comment, share, support!