Chapter 61

Chapter 61

Len.

I spent my entire Monday avoiding Rin. I just wasn't sure how to approach her. If I tried to be casual, she might try to get romantic. If I told her the truth, then it would destroy her. She would be left feeling much more worse than I did.

But I couldn't hide it forever, could I? Even if I subdued the romantic stuff and tried to strangle the love that existed between us, mine being shattered and hopeless, and hers, slowly spiralling into oblivion, no doubt, she would still want to know, and I would have to tell her.

I quietly entered my home and hurried up to my room. My mom was out for work, and she had actually considered not going for the day because of how I had been acting.

I didn't tell her about Rin, let alone that she had the same father and that I was in love with her. Besides, I wanted my mother to go to work. She had a competitive job, and it was hard to keep the spot. Losing it would mean losing much of our property.

I wasn't even sure if I was still in love with Rin. She was my sister, wasn't she? Half-sister, sure, but still. How could I love her like that now, but then again, how could I love someone else? I could try what Yuma tried. I could try to get myself to like another girl, but then I would have to break up with Rin.

Should I break up with Rin? She'd be devastated either way, but maybe that way, she would never find out that we were siblings.

Some part of me wanted her to know that we were related. I could still love her as her brother, and it wouldn't be the same, but at least we could be together.

I wanted to call her, to text her, but I was so afraid. I was afraid of saying something hurtful, or saying something that I shouldn't. I was afraid of Thursday, the day of the music club's meeting. So much had changed in less than a week's time. I had fallen in love, dabbled in it, and then a rough, harsh hand had plucked me out of that fantasy. I had woken up to a reality that was much harsher than it should have been.

If I had been born to some other parents, I could have had Rin. I would never let her go, and I would never yell at her like I did that day. I would never be too busy to talk to her on the phone, and I'd always reply to her messages.

But I hadn't been born to some other parents. We had the same father, and that was that. Forbidden. Taboo. Twisted and grotesque. Even if we kept going like this, someone was bound to find out the truth sooner or later. Even if Rin was okay with this, her father might take her away from me, or maybe even my mother would forbid it.

But my biggest concern was the state of my own feelings. Did I still love Rin?

My heart had been beating like crazy when she touched my face under the stairs, and it only beat faster and faster as she drew her lips closer to mine. For an instant, I had wanted to kiss her so hard that it would leave both of us gasping for air, huddled in the shadows. I wanted to taste her neck again, and I wanted to tell her that she was everything to me.

Even as my sister, she could still be everything to me, couldn't she?

It was around five in the afternoon when my phone rang. I was working my way through hundreds of chemistry problems, but when I saw that the call was from Kaito, I honestly felt relieved.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey, Len, how're you doing?" Kaito asked. Suddenly, it occurred to me that he was probably just going to ask me about Rin. My stomach churned at the thought.

"I'm fine," I said, "Just doing some studying."

Kaito chuckled. "Well, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me. I mean, we haven't had ice cream together at lunch for a while now, and I didn't even see you at lunch today."

I paused. "Is it going to be just you?" I asked.

"Yeah, I even told Miku that it's better if she doesn't come along."

"So, did...things happen between you and Miku?" I wasn't sure if I should bring up Mikuo, since Miku claimed to have a crush on him, but then I remembered him asking me a few days ago, "She liked Mikuo, you know."

"I know, and you know what happened?"

"What?"

Kaito laughed suddenly. "You know, if we talk about all this over the phone, then what are we going to talk about when we hang out?"

"Right!" I frowned, "Where do you want to meet?"

There was silence on Kaito's end. "How about the ice cream shop?" He asked finally.

"You didn't need to think about that!"

"Yeah, I was just bugging you!" I could almost see Kaito's grin. It was just like Rin's eyes, washing away the clouds and infecting everyone in the vicinity with the happiness bug.

Sometimes I used to think about that, and how Kaito was almost always like that. I would think about those sayings, "You are what you eat," and when you get sick, people say that "It must have been something you ate."

And then I think, yeah, Kaito's the sweetest guy anyone could ever know. He's vanilla, chocolate, banana, orange, and leek-flavoured, too. He's covered in chocolate sauce, topped with sprinkles and a cherry, and he wants to melt and get all over everyone's clothes, because that'll make them happy, and that, in turn, will make him happy.

That was Kaito.

Gumi.

"One more time!" I yelled at Yuma, who was lying in the grass, absolutely out of breath.

"No more," he said between breaths, "I'm done..."

I frowned at sat down beside him. "Are you sure?"

He nodded. "We've done five laps already. Can't we call it a day?"

I lay down beside him and put my hands behind my forehead. "Alright," I sighed, "That'll be all for today."

"Good," Yuma mumbled, closing his eyes. I sat up, putting my weight on one elbow, and ran a hand through his hair.

"Did your mom catch you cleaning up yesterday?" I asked.

Yuma chuckled, his eyes still closed. "Yeah," he said, and he opened his mouth as though he was going to continue, but he stopped abruptly.

"So what happened?" I asked, trying to get him to continue.

"Nothing," Yuma said, "She was fine with it."

I lowered myself slowly and kissed him. His arms snaked over me and pulled me closer.

"We're in the middle of the school field, for God's sakes," Yuma said, pulling away.

"More like in a corner," I frowned.

"I thought you didn't like it when this sort of stuff was public," he said.

I shrugged, "I don't, but I can't help it. I love you too much, and it's hard to hold back."

Hey, look, a wild author's note appeared! So you guys, tell me what you think of recent developments? I did a lot of Len monologuing back there, but it was needed.

I hope the recent twist caught you completely off-guard!

Anyway, I'll see you next chapter.